Are side rafter hooks a cheat on a traditional slate roof?

C

Callaway

Hello,

I have to replace a couple of guttering (rhone) hooks on my roof, its a 1928 double nailed welsh slate roof.

The original rhone hooks are nailed form the top through the sarkin board. I cant decide if I should remove slates to allow nailing form the top or if screwing to the side of the rafters is ok. I have exposed rafters, but feel this is maybe not doing it properly. But the flip side is I will have to use slate repair hooks for some of the slates i cant nail back.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Brackets that nail on to the sides would be contempoary with what you have and would save an awful lot of work, I can't see any reason to go stripping slates off a perfectly good roof for the sake of a couple of brackets. If you really are a perfectionist that wants it all to look the same it may even be an idea to consider cutting off the exsisting brackets and replacing all with side nailed brackets , although I personally go that far.

Thanks ladylola. Thats the problem I am a perfectionist and want things done correctly and how a skilled proffessional trades person would do it.

Any slaters on the site? Would a slater say the same, dont strip a perfectly good roof for a guttering bracket? Wait till the roof might need stripped one day and then replace it if needed?

Thanks

Perfectionism is a mental illness related to OCD.

By the way - you can't spell 'professional'.

Sponsored Links
top reply joe 90, really helpfull and informative! maybe you should try facebook!

The original rhone hooks are nailed form the top through the sarkin board. I cant decide if I should remove slates to allow nailing form the top or if screwing to the side of the rafters is ok.

I have never used side hung rhone hooks but imagine it would be difficult to gain the height of the existing hooks to maintain the run.

Might be wrong! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back