copper pipes in screed floor

jtc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on laying some central heating copper pipes in a screed floor that isnt laid yet. What sort of potection do I have to use for the pipes. I know I have to lag them but do they also have to sit in some sort of ducting as well. The screed will then be laid and tiled over. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you'll be tiling over then there's little point in ducting copper pipe.

Personally, I would (and many times have) used Hep2o pipe, run inside conduit, and thoroughly wrapped the joints and the rad tails with felt sleeving. If you make the channel wide enough to allow a bit of snaking, then there'll be enough room for thermal expansion.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I was thinking that using plastic would be easier. I have never used it before which is why I am hesitant. What is this felt sleeving you talk about, I have not seen or heard of it before ?

It has a layer of fibres on a plastic backing - like you'd get if you stuck a strip of sellotape to the inside of your dog's bed and pulled it off again, only more sophisticated of course.

You can get it at any plumbers' merchant; you can get "felt wrap" and "felt sleeving" - one is a single layer and the other is a tube that you can slide over pipework.

Sponsored Links
I guess the bottom line is that copper and cement do not mix there being a reaction where the cement corrodes the copper (can't remember the exact terminology) therefore you must ensure that any copper pipe-work which may otherwise come into contact with a cement by-product i.e. concrete and/or floor screed is somehow separated.

The best way of achieveing this this would be to use pipe insulation that will act as a sheild (all builders merchants sell the stuff - preformed tubes which fit around the pipe) you will then need to use 'duck tape' to seal all the joints in the insulation.
Ideally when you had the concrete oversite layed a small recess should have been created in the oversite concrete to take the insulated copper pipework (say 50mm x 50mm - 2" x 2" section along the route of the proposed pipework) the insulated pipework would then sit in the recess and the full thickness of the finishing screed would be laid over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back