Copper pipes under concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just looking for a bit of advice on a spot of DIY.
I've had to replace a section of concrete floor - about 2ft by 1ft. Underneath the length, I've unearthed a copper radiator pipe. The pipe isn't lagged in anyway, in fact, it's just surrounded by grit and hardcore.
I'm wanting to correct the patch of floor, but don't want to do anything that would cause problems with the piping.
The options I'm weighing are:

1) Fill the hold with sand, using a thin layer of cement on the top.
2) Cover the pipes with horsehair type insulation, then do as above
3) Try and put a steel channel over the pipe, then as 1.

I thought about encasing in plastic, but at the moment, it's only one pipe exposed, and it's not free all the way round - would need further clearing to do this.

Any advice greatly appreciated (unless you're suggesting digging up the whole lot and resiting!).

Sponsored Links
You've got to dig out a bit more and protect the pipes (all the way around). Whether you use denso tape to wrap around them or lagging.

Then do as you say.

:D

There hardly seems much point when all the rest of the buried pipes will be unprotected. Just stick some insulation tape over the bits you can see and carry on.

Sponsored Links
If you want to use copper pipes in the concrete floor. In plumbing if you use the copper pipe then its not beneficial so in plumbing we should use only PVC pipes which are so good in the plumbing.

It's just a bit of remedial work, to the floor, rather than the piping. In an ideal world, I'd have it all out, becauseI know the moment I get the wooden floor laid over the top, something will go pearshaped.

re insulating tape - are we talking the PVC electrical type tape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back