Copper pipes with expanding foam filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a towel radiator and the copper CH supply pipes run inside a brick wall. I have chopped out a reasonable amount for the pipes to run but now the wall needs to be made good. I know I can't use cement or plaster round the pipes and it will be tricky wrapping anything round the pipes as access is limited and the rad is in use. I was wondering if there is a problem using expanding foam from an aerosol to fill the space. I could blank off at the wall surface and inject behind. Is anyone aware of an incompatibility problem between this foam and copper?

Sponsored Links
Expanding foam and copper NOT recommended...... copper should be sheathed when passing through a wall to protect it...

As I've posted elsewhere, worse than this is taking on a job where the original installer has been kicked off and filled up the flow and return pipes with expanding foam about 18"-24" from the open end, to sabotage the job for anyone else.

In this case ME :evil:

Wrap some duct tape round the pipes, then fill chase up with bonding plaster, leaving the chase slightly recessed, once the bonding is set then multifinish or easi fill over the bonding.

Speed up the bonding set time by adding cement to the mix.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, it is now virtually impossible to wrap tape round the pipes so I may just stuff the holes in the wall surrounding the pipes with some insulation of some sort or even just leave it empty - cover with hardboard or something and plaster over the outside to the wall surface.

If the foam and copper are incompatible, it would be a good idea for the tins to state such on the outside. I wonder what other materials don't like copper?

No self respecting pro would use expanding foam in such a way and its good practice to sleeve pipes thru walls.

On gas it's mandatory.

Stick some duct tape over the front of the pipes then and try to protect as much of their surface from plaster as possible. When putting on the subcoat, don't push it in hard enough to get behind the tape, so hopefully it won't actually make contact with the copper.

The pipe run needed for this installation required soldered elbows at top and bottom of the run in the wall fitted in situ so plastic sleeving was not possible as it would have melted or caught fire.

Compression joints were a non starter due to subsequent accessibility issues leaving me with the current problem.

I will try and get tape onto the pipes but unfortunately it loses its stickiness where it touches the brickwork.

You should be able to push it round the back of the pipes the best you can - don't try to get it to stick to the brickwork.

As said earlier, with luck not much plaster will actually get onto bare copper.

ahh but thats blue expanding foam :LOL:

Didn't used to be, and the only reason it's blue is because it's coloured blue, the stuff in the can is exactly the same.

Blue foam is the same as Organic, cost more for no reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back