copper piping used for outside gas supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, have a few questions

just got a new boiler installed and the gas meter is outside and the installer has brought a pipe from the meter box and sent it down from the box (roughly 60 cms) then along the wall (roughly 1m) and around 15-30cms above the ground then through the wall.

Now to me it looks bad as copper is not the hardest product around and is easyly damaged, and the pipe is pegged away from the wall using plastic clips :O

So is copper ok for this sort of thing ?
also should the copper be incased in steel for that added protection
and what about these plastic clips ?

Be interested in what you lot have to say on this thank you

Sponsored Links
Everything he has done is fine, the pipe is supposed to be away from the wall on plastic clips.

As long as it isn't disturbed it will be fine :)

And now the price of scrap has fell through the floor you wont have to worry about the gypo`s.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with that, I'm intrigued though, what did you expect it to be run in?

external copper pipe is perfectly acceptable unless subjected to high salt content in air, ie at the seaside, where it may corrode, another exception is where we did some installs across from a major cement manufacturers site, we asked building control for advice about high cement dust in the air as it always looked cloudy, they advised in the circumstances to cover the pipe with denso if we couldn't put it inside.

Last I heard was that plastic clips were OUT because they can degrade in sunlight. Copper or brass stand off clips should now be used.
Not worth making an issue about in your case I reckon. A competent DIYer should be able to fit the right clips without cutting into or damaging a pipe if they were that bothered.

thanks for the replys, it has put me at ease now as i just didnt know about these things and didnt want to be ripped off. thanks

current CCN1 ACS has a question on correct pipe clip and stand off plastic clip is the correct answer, so don't think plastic clips have been outlawed, as there was nothing quantified about inside use only

Plastic clips have to be uv resistant.Ever asked the merchants if theirs are you get all sort of funny looks. :confused:

Plastic clips have to be uv resistant.Ever asked the merchants if theirs are you get all sort of funny looks. :confused:

Haha I shall have to try that one...they do love complicated regs-based questions in the morning :LOL: try yours with the twin-feed expansion vessel/anti-legionella valve question (you're now supposed to fit a twin-feed expansion vessel to an unvented hot water cylinder so that the water passes through it as well as expanding into it - an ALV on a standard single-feed is also acceptable, but just you try to get one)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back