copper pushfit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do copper pushfit still need inserts on plastic?

I have seen some used on plastic (weird ) but wondered if they used inserts.

looks to me like a cowboy install :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yep - the inserts are to add rigidity to the pipe, not the fitting, and are thus required.

Yes...i think you are supposed to use inserts....i used these copper pushfits on a new build as they were specified by the architect and i had nothing but bother with them......about 1 in 10 joint leaked....had to use a demounting tool to seperate leaking joints and could never see anything wrong with fitting but i would still leak when pushed back in.

What! let me get this straight , you say they are required as in they are used on plastic , but why?

Why in heaven would someone use copperpushfit on plastic, it won't be for asthetic purposes definitely.

That aside the plastic and copper tube end that inserts into the fitting is very rigid to start with,

I can see a use for the inserts on brass compression as it can squash plastic pipe with the force involved.

In my opinion this install has not got inserts in and has been in for some time now without any probs.

It just seemed a little stupid to me.

Sponsored Links
I think its the same as HEP....i know some plumbers that dont use inserts in HEP pipe going into HEP fittings , and they've never had a leak.

I always use inserts as basically it gives u peace of mind.

I understand where you are coming from though

Question: If using copper to pushfit and the plastic pipe other end would you put inserts in both sides?

I'll explain why i asked in my next post. :D

What! let me get this straight , you say they are required as in they are used on plastic , but why?
because the manufacturers normally stipulate it ;)

Why in heaven would someone use copperpushfit on plastic, it won't be for asthetic purposes definitely.
you brought this up - why are you having a dig at us :confused:
There could be several possibilities, ranging from "job lot off back of lorry", "only ones available in the shed" to a misplaced belief that they would be "stronger" and thus more reliable than plastic.
In my opinion this install has not got inserts in and has been in for some time now without any probs.
quite possibly true that inserts are overkill in this situation, but I also suspect that inserts are an added way of preventing a distorted oval pipe-end (from cutting maybe) being used, or indeed the rounded edge of the insert preventing damage to the silicon washer by the sharp edge of plastic pipe upon inserting the pipe into the fitting.

Well i hav'nt used copper pushfit before < not that i can remember.

BUt i have used speedfit,

I am going to make a confesion, In the cold snap while sorting leaks out one 'night' (yes I got the dreaded late call 'my house is flooded' :eek: ;) I forgot to put inserts in the plastic end of the fitting :oops: the other end was copper but in my opinion they didn't need inserts anyway.

Now i'm wondering if i should go back and sort it or will it be ok. :confused:

It was only the hot and cold supplys from a combi, so no really hot temps.

What do you suggest?

PS. not having a go at you dex. it's just the way i talk :D ;)

Copper pipes don't need inserts - they are strong enough and pipeslice or cutters round off the ends to prevent damage to the silcon sealing ring.

As for the placcy pipes, it'll probably not be ok. However, personally, I'd go back and fix it for two reasons. First, if it leaks then it makes you look incompetent and word may get round(and if the customer's are shirty then they may wish to claim off your liability insurance). Secondly, a follow up from you wanting to check that everything is A-OK will do your reputation a power of good and enable you to sleep easy that it's been done proper-like while the customers will remain non the wiser of your real reason ;)

As for the placcy pipes, it'll probably be ok.

no they won`t. and when it does fail newgas and it will, when somebody else repairs it and finds there is no insert fitted, your reputation is gone, and its never coming back.

again not a dig, just a comment on the thread postings

I agree with that totally it will not take half an hour at most so for the risk I'm going back soon, cheers for the advice mate.

I was just rushing to be honest and I never like to rush.

cheers again.

no they won`t. and when it does fail newgas and it will, when somebody else repairs it and finds there is no insert fitted, your reputation is gone, and its never coming back.

again not a dig, just a comment on the thread postings
No, not a dig at all, that's why you made it so huge t wat :LOL: :LOL:

I was trying to be nice while getting newgas to make the right decision (especially as it's a combi and mains pressure involved).

Always do, just rushing to finish as it was late and popped it in and.....

remembered when i got home :eek: .

sort it today tho. ;)

This cold was so extreme I saw plenty of soldered joints blown off. :eek:

The force of nature is immense, if theres no give nothing can hold back ice.

Always do, just rushing to finish as it was late and popped it in and.....

remembered when i got home :eek: .

sort it today tho. ;)

This cold was so extreme I saw plenty of soldered joints blown off. :eek:

The force of nature is immense, if theres no room for expansion nothing can hold back ice.

The leaks are stll being discovered.Had another phone call yesterday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back