Copper roof over bay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was stripping the old paint off of a small roof over our bay window and discovered it was copper and in fairly good shape. I was wondering if it is acceptalbe to take it all the way down and leave the copper exposed. My concern is that when it rains, would there be streaking down the window frames???

Sponsored Links
Not too sure about this. Why do you think it may streak?
Copper and bronze tend to go green when exposed to the elements, I know that, but bronze statues don't have pools of green at their feet.
I also know several people who - mistakenly - wear copper bracelets to help with rheumatism. Not noticed any sweaty streaks on their arms as yet!
I'd have thought the copper would take a lot of keeping up with to maintain its appearance, which is why it probably got painted in the first place. For want of a better reply, I'd try it and see. I can only imagine that you think the green may run off after a period of time. But, you wouldn't allow it to get to that green stage, would you? Otherwise, there's no point stripping it back. At the first sign of an unlikely 'streak', get it painted. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Johnboy54 said:
Not too sure about this. Wh.... But, you wouldn't allow it to get to that green stage, would you? Otherwise, there's no point stripping it back. At the first sign of an unlikely 'streak', get it painted. :confused:

Heck, I dont know. I assumed the metal under all the house paint would be a standard sheet metal. When I saw copper, I thought that would look cool exposed, then realized oxidation would turn it a green tone (which generally I dont mind). Which led me to be worried about streaks down the white trim on the bay window. But, this leads to another question: if I'd like to keep this the natural copper tone, is there a recommended sealant?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back