Copper soil pipe - how to make a connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been asked if I could plumb in a washing machine into an outhouse that backs on to another smaller outhouse which has a WC in already.

In theory not a problem. Cold supply is off a tank on the first floor so obviously the fill will be slower than if connected to the mains, but my friend says she can live with that.

The issue is the waste. I was just envisaging replacing a 90 degree WC pan connector with one with a universal pipe boss (like the McAlpine WC-CON8V) and bring the w/m waste pipe through the adjoining wall and into that connector. However, when I got to look at it I found that the pan outlet itself goes 'up and over' and straight down into the drain connector, i.e. there is no pan connector.

As the loo is pretty old and grotty, I'm tempted to suggest that she buys a new loo while she's at it and then I could use the pan connector as described above.

However, there is another option. In the corner of the WC room is a 3.5 inch copper soil pipe (1950s plumbing I'm guessing) which descends from the bathroom above. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions for teeing the w/m waste into this. Is there an (inexpensive - i.e. not Viking Johnson etc!) adaptor for connecting plastic pipe into copper soil pipe?

At the moment, the loo replacement option looks like it might prove to be most straightforward and possibly even the cheapest option, but I wanted to get some other opinions first. (Another thing is that the copper pipe is jammed in the corner of the room so I'd have to excavate the walls a little in order to make a connection.)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A proper plumber would drill a hole in the pipe, and bell it out using a bent pin, then they would bronze weld the new copper waste pipe into the dish.

Alternatively they would form a saddle and silver solder it to the pipe.

:rolleyes:

Thanks Doitall, yes, I've seen that technique described elsewhere but I certainly wouldn't feel competent to attempt it myself. What I'll probably do is give my friend a price for the toilet replacement approach, but suggest she gets a 'proper' plumber in who could quote her for the 'old school' method.

I'll tell her that it's very important that she check with him whether or not he has a bentpin!

Your best bet is to either form a saddle or buy one if you still can, and silver solder it.

If you shape the end of the waste pipe to fit the soil pipe, you can heat it up to cherry red and shape the end to form a saddle.

Sponsored Links
Hmm....

I think that's one of those techniques I'd like to see demonstrated before attempting it myself and making a pig's ear of it. If she does get someone in to do it that way I might ask him if he minded if I observed!

I've seen a similar thread on another forum where someone suggests using a strap-on boss - with the ridge filed off - and sealing it to the copper soil pipe with silicone. Says he's had success with this approach on cast iron soil pipe.

Thanks for the info Doitall...

I certainly don't want to bodge it which is why I'll recommend to my friend that she finds an experienced pro to give her a quote for doing it that way. I'm sure it is, as you describe, simple enough to do this the right way ... IF you know what you're doing.

Cheers
Matt

Perhaps you should listen to the old fella and tell her to get a washboard and a mangle!

Or get into this century and use one of these

;)

Oops, it was there when I looked :oops:

Perhaps you should just Google 'Bossconn' instead!

Damn new computers you knew where you were with a sliderule ;)

So Doitall, what is your considered opinion of the Young Pup's suggestion?!

I could only see an overflow pipe size connector on McAlpine's website Razor. Is there something similar for 32 or 40mm waste pipe?

I don't know of any fitting that will go onto a 4" copper pipe as a saddle.

As I said perhaps the simplest way is get an 42mm copper tee, cut it down the center and silver solder it to the pipe.

Of course if you don't mind a small pipe, just drill a hole and fit an 28mm Essex flange. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back