copper tank, direct type and hard water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in East Herts where the water is hard. For 24yrs I used to get through an immersion heater once every 3yrs or so. Then 13yrs ago I changed out the tank (direct, 11" immersion at the bottom) and havent had any more problems. I remember the new tank had an anode sticking up from the bottom. Recently I have noticed a greeny/blue limescale in the bathroom sink/bath and am wondering if the anode has long gone & the copper tank is being corroded.
Believing that the anode thingy has stopped the heaters being destroyed (always bought the dear ones for hard water and when they came out they were wrecked..eaten through to the element wire inside) , I have been scanning the ads for tanks with anodes & generally they seem to be a thing of the past. New bsi standards/corrosion resistant tanks etc). Occasionally I see a firm saying they can fit an anode to special order but I also see people saying they arent needed. So I am confused. Did this anode save my constant immersion heater changes.? Is the limescale colouring telling me to change the tank asap? Should I pay mode and get an anode fitted? Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You could get a stainless steel cylinder, that should solve it more permanently than a copper one with an anode in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back