Copper to Plastic, Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have changed my living room radiators. these were connected using copper pipe. I have now used plastic pipe teed of from the original 22 mm flow and return copper pipes. I have used brass T pieces and a metal insert into the plastic pipe with a olive and connected it to the 22mm compression T. Do I need to bond my radiator?, My Flow and return pipes are earthed at the radiator??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
One meter of plastic pipe will in the main isolate and the reason for bonding is to stop something like a standard lamp falling on a radiator in one room making a radiator in another room live. So with more than one meter of plastic pipe most risk assessments would show there is a greater risk bonding than not bonding.

But where only a inch or so of plastic is used then to bond means if that lamp drops on the radiator then it will ensure a fuse blows rather than make both that radiator live which one hopes you could see it would be live but also another radiator live somewhere else in the house which is more of a danger as you can't see the accident.

This has been the problem for years however today most new houses use RCD protection and with RCD protection the risk assessment comes out on the side of not bonding.

In the main plumbers will bond as less likely to be criticised for bonding when not required than not bonding where it is required.

The main problem is the regulations have changed but to give an accurate answer one needs to know which version the house is wired to. At one point we even bonded metal window frames but that was all dropped.

the reason for bonding is to stop something like a standard lamp falling on a radiator in one room making a radiator in another room live.
No.

But where only a inch or so of plastic is used then to bond means if that lamp drops on the radiator then it will ensure a fuse blows rather than make both that radiator live
That would be earthing, not bonding, and it's not required for radiators any more than it's required for metal furniture.

The main problem is the regulations have changed but to give an accurate answer one needs to know which version the house is wired to.
No we don't - these radiators are in the living room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back