Copper to plastic pipe and Cold radiator.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have two problems at the moment which are the legacy of using cowboy builders.

First the cold water supply into the house is connected to a plastic elbow right after the stop cock. After bumping this connection the water pressure pushed the joint loose. As a stop gap I retightened the connection as well as possible and reduced the water intake to about 25%. Should I change this to a metal elbow connected to the plastic on a straight run? Will this let me increase the pressure?

2nd problem

Same cowboys installed two radiators and towel rail in new extension. One radiator and towelrail working fine but other radiator is cold. Water is pressured at radiator but cold. Plumber here to do work for film crew filming said cowboy builders work said that it was probably due to microbore being used for whole system. I have moved and removed radiators in the past without any such problems. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
First the cold water supply into the house is connected to a plastic elbow right after the stop cock. After bumping this connection the water pressure pushed the joint loose.
Did it leak?

Which brand of fitting is it?

Should I change this to a metal elbow connected to the plastic on a straight run?
Does the pipe run have to turn 90°?

If so, could you bend some copper, or use plastic pipe, so that you can eliminate that first fitting entirely?

Plumber here to do work for film crew filming said cowboy builders work said that it was probably due to microbore being used for whole system.
Why don't you let that plumber fully diagnose that problem and fix it?

Hi

I am not sure what brand of fitting was used. It did not leak until disturbed and then whole joint came apart drenching me in freezing water. When retightened was fine until cold water was turned on and then turned off sharply. If cold water at tap is turned off slowly there is no problem. However I believe this is a problem waiting to happen.

Pipe has to run 90degrees as it goes straight under floor and no other way to run it now.

As for cold radiator the plumber with film crew reluctant to spend time to investigate. Has said it could be a two minute job or a two month job. He tried to balance system but still cold radiator.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what brand of fitting was used. It did not leak until disturbed and then whole joint came apart drenching me in freezing water. When retightened was fine until cold water was turned on and then turned off sharply.
I've seen some MDPE plastic fittings do that.

Is the fitting black, grey, or white?

Is the pipe copper, PEX, MDPE, or Alkathene?

As for cold radiator the plumber with film crew reluctant to spend time to investigate. Has said it could be a two minute job or a two month job. He tried to balance system but still cold radiator.
Hmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back