Copper to plastic radiator move

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning all,

The first DIY plumbing I did was to move a radiator and replace it with a towel radiator. It worked out really well but I did your solder and copper so it took ages and looked like I had fell in the FLUX tube. Anyway, now im wanting to move another and friends have said why don't I use push fit.

Can push fit be used on CH systems? It is also going to be under floor boards, not sure if that matters. Ive plumbed in taps, baths, sinks with push fit so im happy using it, if its the same stuff.

Any help would be great.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be used on CH but if you have been succesful with copper and soldering in the past then do it that way its far better.
If your using plastic pipe it need to be the barrier type

thanks gas

What is the barrier type? Is it the really thin stuff that comes coiled up?I think I just used speedfit 15mm when I plumbed in the sinks etc. Im guessing there is a simple push fit that goes onto copper pipe si I can start using plastic?

Thanks agian

and friends have said why don't I use push fit
Friends ?

Push fit might work but a friend has had so many weeps and damp ceilings due to push fit used in a renovation that he has got a different plumber to install copper.

Provided the pipe ends and fittings are cleaned with clean wire wool and then not touched other than with a thin wipe of flux soldering works.

Sponsored Links
Push fit might work but a friend has had so many weeps and damp ceilings due to push fit used in a renovation that he has got a different plumber to install copper.

That's probably more to do with the "Plumber" who installed the Pushfit rather than the product. Most issues with Pushfit are installer errors, no insert, not pushed fully home, damaged pipe, dirt under 0 ring, wrong insert etc.
If you use a reputable brand, my preference is always Hep2o, and follow the manufacturers installation instructions, you won't get "weeps" and "damp ceilings" and it carries a 50 year warranty.

thanks gas

What is the barrier type? Is it the really thin stuff that comes coiled up?I think I just used speedfit 15mm when I plumbed in the sinks etc. Im guessing there is a simple push fit that goes onto copper pipe si I can start using plastic?

Thanks agian

Barrier pipe has two layers otherwise you get air entrainment through the pipe which causes corrosion on a grand scale.

All pushfit brands should fit straight onto copper to convert to plastic, you don't need a copper to plastic fitting.

The experience above with plastic pipe must have been a very poor installation

thanks gas

Thanks agian

As Terrydoh has already said, the difference between Standard pipe and Barrier pipe is that Standard pipe is solid wall one material (Polybutylene or PEX) Barrier pipe has a "Barrier" sandwiched in between an inner and outer layer of PB or PEX. This prevents the ingress go oxygen into the system, not really important on H & C services but should always be used on CH systems.

The 2 main types of barrier are either a chemical barrier or an aluminium barrier, the chemical barrier means that the pipe is more flexible the aluminium pipe is more rigid and generally a crimp system rather than Pushfit.

When using Pushfit with copper, always use a pipe slice and mark the insertion depth before installing.

thanks gas

Thanks agian

As Terrydoh has already said, the difference between Standard pipe and Barrier pipe is that Standard pipe is solid wall one material (Polybutylene or PEX) Barrier pipe has a "Barrier" sandwiched in between an inner and outer layer of PB or PEX. This prevents the ingress go oxygen into the system, not really important on H & C services but should always be used on CH systems.

The 2 main types of barrier are either a chemical barrier or an aluminium barrier, the chemical barrier means that the pipe is more flexible the aluminium pipe is more rigid and generally a crimp system rather than Pushfit.

When using Pushfit with copper, always use a pipe slice and mark the insertion depth before installing.

Hi Sandy

What do you mean "pipe slice" and "mark the insertion depth"?

Use a pipe slice ( Google ) so that you have a clean cut on the copper, you should debur the inside as well.

Mark the depth of the fitting on the copper so that you know it is fully pushed home

Use a pipe slice ( Google ) so that you have a clean cut on the copper, you should debur the inside as well.

Mark the depth of the fitting on the copper so that you know it is fully pushed home

Ha, yeah I got yer. I've never heard it called that. I just call it a pipe cutter. I've got a decent pipe cutter and wire wool to clean the copper beforehand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back