what pipe / fittings to use... brass / plastic etc?>

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Have come to do the plumbing on my new extension and I'm wondering what's best to use?.. The house is 20 years old and is done in copper throughout... the extension is a single floor 3m x 3m but needs plumbing for a toilet, two sinks, two rads, and a washing machine... I want to use the same system for cold water / hot water and the rad's if possible.

question is, which is best / cheapest... I know coppers not cheap but the fittings are.. plastic ones do appear to be a bit expensive in comparison?.
But then which system is the best?...
Standard solder on copper
Push fit on copper (once only type)
Push fit on copper (undoable type)
Plastic push fit
Plastic twist lock

and if plastic, what system / make?.. I've never used plastic before but looks like the tube is cheap, but the fitting can get expensive?...

Any advice appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Copper is proper. With soldered fittings

Plastic has come a long way in the last few years and can be used in a wide variety of application, but for my money, I would agree with 'muggles'.

I never liked the look of plastic pipework anyway.

Interesting... I thought I'd get a raft of plastic supporters :eek:

It's always been copper and solder for me in the past but yes, I thought times had moved on.. and the speed you can do plastic was quite attractive... But if you thinks copper is proper... then copper it is ;)

cheers all....

Sponsored Links
Problems tend to occur when people find a faster way of doing things. Everyone suddenly thinks that they can do it, knocking up a s**t of a job and 5 years down the line when the property gets sold, someone blames the 'plumber' for the poor look of work / arrangement of the pipework, because the bloke before had no idea what he was doing.

At least with copper, you are (for the most part) forced to do a half decent job.

well, we use plastic on our machines we build at work.. so it's not rocket science and got to say, I've never seen a failed joint... But it's not what I've used in houses... another plus for plastic, is that I've made the extension with a space under the floor so you can get in! (shock / horror!).. so if it did leak, its easy fixed... the rest of the house is on a slab and if it goes t*ts up there, you are cutting up boards to get at it!.. don't like... a 2' gap under the floor is a must in my views... :)

Hi Paul. At last a plastic lover. What systems are good for this? Any better than others? Cheers

Hi Paul. At last a plastic lover. What systems are good for this? Any better than others? Cheers

Personally, I think JG Speedfit is best. Never had a problem with it. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to copper or plastic. as you say, plastic has advanced in recent years. Every job is different, so some jobs would be best in copper and some in plastic.There are things to consider such as the bore of the pipework and whether you intend to continue earth cross bonding.

I would say, if you are competent in soldering then copper would be best as everything is accessible at the moment. Plastic definitely has it's uses but for a new 'fix' I would go for all copper.

Another Copper man... I'm guessing that's the way to go then.... still surprised I've got to say :)

Mice, rats and squirrels don't eat copper, especially under a floor with a 2 foot gap, or in aloft

delaminate!.. can it?... I've started with copper now so I'll do it throughout... but I did have to use two push fits on this in the stud wall (too close to electrics etc... ) hope those work ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back