Copper Vs Plastic pipes

Lad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting some work done on my bathroom which will involve new plumbing. Should I ask the plumber to use copper pipes rather than plastic or vice versa or doesn't it make any difference?

I understand that using plastic pipes is easier to install but in the long run will it be better to have copper pipes even if it will take longer to put in?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
copper first last and always depends wether you want a diy job or professional !

copper dont get eaten by mice ! and then leak.

If it's on show, then copper.
If it's concealed, I have no preference.
If joints will be inacessible after installation, then my personal preference is copper for it's proven record of reliability.

(lights blue touchpaper and stands well back)

Sponsored Links
copper first last and always depends wether you want a diy job or professional .

I honestly cant see how you can make that statement.

I've seen plastic installed by some good fitters better than some copper work of so call plumbers.to brand one as diy and one as proffesional is just a statement by a muppet. ;)

Both have advantages and disadvantages,as long as its not on show i dont see the problem with it.

Ive replaced more pinholed copper than rodent eaten plastic.For some reason probably due to the bulk of the fitting and the smoothness of the plastic pipe wall, its more common to see the fittings chewed than the pipe.

Ive replaced more pinholed copper than rodent eaten plastic.For some reason probably due to the bulk of the fitting and the smoothness of the plastic pipe wall, its more common to see the fittings chewed than the pipe.
How long has plastic been around in comparison to copper :rolleyes: Of course you've fixed more copper pinholes than failed plastic joints, since there's a shed load more of it around and there has been for a long long time :idea:

copper first last and always depends wether you want a diy job or professional .

I honestly cant see how you can make that statement.

I've seen plastic installed by some good fitters better than some copper work of so call plumbers.to brand one as diy and one as proffesional is just a statement by a muppet. ;)

Both have advantages and disadvantages,as long as its not on show i dont see the problem with it.

It was a throw away comment and Yes it's really about personal preference, I have used plastic but if its going somewhere that will not be accessible in the future for me it has to be copper. To my mind the longevity has not yet been proved and what I'm thinking about is the o ring in the fitting to me thats the achilles heel how often do we have to change them on boilers ? mate of mine in mansfield has found verdigris on all the copper pipe where its inserted in to plastic push fit fittings !

I really wont be suprised if in a decade or two theres problems with o rings leaking ! and tons of work.

Plastic pipes are for bodgers and DIY.

Copper is best, end of.

Interesting to see replies. I have used plastic for many years with pneumatic systems and it has produced less problems than steel. As a result I had no problems with seeing plastic instead of copper in my home.

However it has caused problems. Non due to being plastic all to do with incorrect fitting. Pipes and joints not matching, Lack of clips, Not tightened up, and gripper washers missing, No room for expansion and contraction.

On top of this there is the electrical problem. Copper conducts and so do all the fittings but of course plastic does not. However the short length of a fitting is not enough to isolate. The practice of using copper where seen and plastic out of sight means it is hard to tell if the pipes feeding a sink are earthed or not.

With new property with RCD's on near every circuit and all bathroom items with RCD's there is really no problem. But with older property it is easy for odd lengths of copper un-earthed because of plastic to conduct faults between rooms.

For the electrics we should have a plan in the consumer unit showing what each circuit feeds but that does not seem to be the case with plumbing.

If plastic is as good as copper then why don't we see gas in plastic? I can't understand why gas is not marked. I have a bung in my wall that I know is gas. But nothing on it to say what it is. Water pipes in kitchen are surface so no fear of drilling them but gas pipes are buried in the wall. Never worked out why.

As to what happens if water in plastic freezes I don't know?

Copper pipes are for bodgers and diy.
Plastic is best end off.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back