Copper or plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating a house which requires all new plumbing (new boiler, new pipe work and central heating). I'll have the pro's do it.

What is a professional plumber likely to use copper pipe or plastic pipe for what is effectively a new installation?

Which is likely to cost less, a plastic pipe work installation or copper?

Any views/comments appreciated

Jon

Sponsored Links
Lower that rock back down gently jonw, kev is dazzled by the light :eek:

Kevplumb - what problems have you had with plastic, reliability , leaky joints?

Sponsored Links
you cant make a decent job with the crap yes ive had leaky joints a month later
try and make a neat job when using the stuff nigh on impossible
dont like it dont trust it never will
(having opened can of worms sits back)

jonw said:
Hi,

I'm renovating a house which requires all new plumbing (new boiler, new pipe work and central heating). I'll have the pro's do it.

What is a professional plumber likely to use copper pipe or plastic pipe for what is effectively a new installation?

Which is likely to cost less, a plastic pipe work installation or copper?

Any views/comments appreciated

Jon
plastic cost more but better results use speed fit up too the boiler then 1-2 mters copper pipe to take direct heat

Agree with revamp and have used speedfit extensively without any problems. Keep your work clean i.e. clean cuts on pipework etc and results are superb. Can be removed and reused, no blow torches setting rafters alight etc. Fittings cost more than copper, but easier to use, no flames, reusable, etc. Now used in new builds (NHSBC approved). This statement likely to generate usual crap about new build standards, ya de ya..... About to start next project, speedfit and plastic pipe for me... Can only call it as I see it from my own experience ! Maybe a case or work man and his tools ! time will tell.

thanks for the comments guys. Looks as though this one could be religious!

I had heard of the surprise leaks later on which is why I posted this item - to get other views.

Bacho, Bathjobby thanks for the info and tips

I wait with interset then jonw, been 12 months now since first used, no leaks yet, but I am meticulous with clean cutting and fixing. Time will tell..

I use Hep2o for everything, 10mm drops to rads in copper, inside trunking , plastic in lofts and under floor, 1 metre from boiler in copper, bathrooms/kitchens, I love the stuff.

I have known rats to eat through plastic pipe and cause floods. Don't use it if the property is rural (or rat infested)

Hep2o makes me nervous when you fill and the joints creak and expand - 22mm eeek. Nerver had a leak yet where it hasn't been 'my' fault - not pushed fully home or a faulty fitting ( i should have checked). Lovely stuff.
Speedfit however.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back