Copper Vs Plastic pipes

Have a peek at http://www.polypipeinc.com/ for some plastic gas pipe, also over here more and more new homes (all price ranges) are being piped with PEX for the domestic water piping, a plumbing company friend tells me that this stuff is just as reliable as copper, the quality of the installation is what determines the end result. I am not in the trade, but am involved with some combustion research, and we did test some PVC pipe as the premix feeder into a ceramic burner head and I was very surprised that the pipe performed as well as our metal premix pipe. Of course, there was no flame impingement (the burner head is isolated from direct contact with the premix pipe) in either case, so the carrier pipe itself is at normal room or outside temperatures. All materials have their place; safety, longevity, maintenance and cost effectiveness are what is driving our combustion experiments. Thanks all for the interesting comments...

Sponsored Links
I think the answer to this is simple. You have preference for copper - get a quote in plastic and copper and then make your decision?

As to the question whether copper is better than plastic. Well, plastic has gone under plenty of testing to be considered suitable for domestic installations - if it was particularly bad, it would quickly earn a reputation, plumbers wouldn't use it and they'd go out of business. People use it because it works - not because they are bodge artists.

Copper is a little slower to install, but benefits from being time proved and looks more pleasing to the eye.

The pin-holing copper, mice eating plastic can't really be considered as you can go on and on with considerations like that until you end up doing nothing. they just belong in the great big bag labelled 's*** happens!'

Curious thought just occurred as i was about to finish too, out of plumbers i know who do insist on doing everything on copper; it always tend to be the newbies or the diy enthusiast trying to do 'a proper job' - make of that what you will

I think the answer to this is simple. You have preference for copper - get a quote in plastic and copper and then make your decision?

As to the question whether copper is better than plastic. Well, plastic has gone under plenty of testing to be considered suitable for domestic installations - if it was particularly bad, it would quickly earn a reputation, plumbers wouldn't use it and they'd go out of business. People use it because it works - not because they are bodge artists.

Copper is a little slower to install, but benefits from being time proved and looks more pleasing to the eye.

The pin-holing copper, mice eating plastic can't really be considered as you can go on and on with considerations like that until you end up doing nothing. they just belong in the great big bag labelled 's*** happens!'

Curious thought just occurred as i was about to finish too, out of plumbers i know who do insist on doing everything on copper; it always tend to be the newbies or the diy enthusiast trying to do 'a proper job' - make of that what you will

You make a lot of sense and yes, I'm going to get a quote for both. Its good to read the different opinions people have posted so I'm glad I asked the question. At the very least there hasn't been a resounding *avoid* plastic so if plastic comes in at a much lower cost and I opt for it, I think I would sleep soundly with the decision.

Sponsored Links
Whilst servicing some unvented cylinders.......Today, apartment complex plastic manifolds in the riser cupboards on each floor.

Fourth floor, plastic end cap blew off One by one pumps at the pumping station kicked in to maintain the pressure !!!!!

Son has his shoulder at the door as he peeps round it because of the noise and chaos behind it said it was like niagra falls.

Lifts out, lights out, fire alarm went off cos it shorted... two fire engines.
90 apartments with no water because of something that might cost what
eight quid ! courier to leeds for 200 quid !

plastic.................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back