Plastic piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've just had a plumber install a new thermostatic shower in my bathroom. He used plastic piping instead of copper, is that right because I thought plastic piping was phased out years ago?

Sponsored Links
No need to worry. Plastic piping is very wildly used and is still mass produced. although modern plastic is of a lot higher standard than that of years ago.

It's down to individual installers personal choice as to whether to use plastic or copper, as well as ease of installation.

Must...stay....off....soap..box......nnff.....

bit late but thought i'd add my view on plastic pipe and fittings

i don't think anything can ever be worse than seeing loads of pushfits they are a nasty cheap looking bodge no matter what pipe they're used on. if you have no idea what you're doing, no skills or simply don't care about doing a proper job use pushfit ;)

it looks crap, i can't imagine any plumber or heating engineer using it as first choice unless they are bone idle or incompetent

try changing a pump when all the airing cupboard is pushfit - you need 3 hands! in general when you work on it pipes just turn when you try to work on them even the ones further down the system, then you end up playing chase the leak

rant over!

Sponsored Links
try changing a pump when all the airing cupboard is pushfit - you need 3 hands!
Not if it's Hep2o - you can just disassemble it.

in general when you work on it pipes just turn when you try to work on them
Ridiculous isn't it - all those turning pipes and pipes turning. I mean, you try to undo a capnut from a compression fitting, and the pipe just turns! What's that all abaaaht?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back