copper water supply through cement!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting a new kitchen and I can see that the copper water supply pipe before the stop tap is travelling through cement and has a green copper oxide residue on the outside. Should I be worried about this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it is easyish to change/reroute now (eg before the refit) then I would do it now. You will be kicking yourself if you need to sort it and wreck the kitchen at a later date.....

Or add a bit of extra plumbing to allow for it to fail in the future?

It all really depends on the exact situation, but copper direct in concrete is not a good long term solution.

If you are replacing the pipe then you can use copper but need to wrap it in sticky tape and then put it in a tube or duct to avoid any expansion problems.

Assuming its a mains water supply pipe then its technically illegal if its not accessible although it is OK to use plastic pipe in a larger tube that can be retracted from one end.

Tony

Needs to be Grade Y copper if its going anywhere underground. Fittings will need to be of the Type B/manipulative type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back