copyin keys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need another key made for my car. the 1 it has now has the built in remote for central lockin. vauxhall type. can this key be copied like a normal key (obviously youll have to use the key to open the door)?

Sponsored Links
andrew2022 said:
i need another key made for my car. the 1 it has now has the built in remote for central lockin. vauxhall type. can this key be copied like a normal key (obviously youll have to use the key to open the door)?

Yes you can copy your key as they trace round your old key. However it will not have the remote for the central locking.

Quick Fit said:
andrew2022 said:

Yes you can copy your key as they trace round your old key. However it will not have the remote for the central locking.

thanx. im not bothered about the remote part. jsut aslong s the key will work

Well if it is a numbered key, most places won't touch it.

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
Well if it is a numbered key, most places won't touch it.

why? (it has a 4 digit number on the key stamped into the metal)

Not quite so easy as just copying the key, sure it will open the door but won't start the car if the car is post 1995 which I'm sure it is with Remote locking. All Vaux's after 1995 had chipped keys/immobilisers

If the car is before mid 1998 you can get the immobiler chip in the key cloned, however if after mid 98 it has a Crypto chip which can only be programmed at your friendly Vauxhall dealership. In order to do this you will need the vehicle security code also.

Many High street key cutting places are able to cut & clone keys for the earlier Vauxhall's.

What year and model are you.

The remote on some cars can be programmed in the vehicle no problem others need to connect Tech2.

cheers

CJ
ex-Vauxhall technician

cjbigboy said:
Not quite so easy as just copying the key, sure it will open the door but won't start the car if the car is post 1995 which I'm sure it is with Remote locking. All Vaux's after 1995 had chipped keys/immobilisers

If the car is before mid 1998 you can get the immobiler chip in the key cloned, however if after mid 98 it has a Crypto chip which can only be programmed at your friendly Vauxhall dealership. In order to do this you will need the vehicle security code also.

Many High street key cutting places are able to cut & clone keys for the earlier Vauxhall's.

What year and model are you.

The remote on some cars can be programmed in the vehicle no problem others need to connect Tech2.

cheers

CJ
ex-Vauxhall technician

its an 04 astra. envoy model. so looks like ill need to go to a vauxhall dealer for it

Definately.

When you go, make sure you have the little card with radio code, security code etc as they will need that to access the immobiliser. If not they will charge you at least a tenner to look it up, we used too!

all the best

cheers

CJ

You have to buy the new key. THEN you have to pay to have it programmed.

Sponsored Links
Back