Yet another LOST KEY question

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I locked an X-reg Peugeot 206 using its remote central-locking button on the key will I be able to open it using a copy of the key cut by a bog standard key cutter?

PLEASE NOTE: I am not attempting to steal a car.

The good lady wife has lost the spare key & it's going to take about 2 weeks & £100+ of hard-earned money to get a replacement.

We share this car but finish work at different times. I'm thinking if I leave the original key in the car & lock it with the key cutter's key will the Missus be able to open it with another copy of the key, retrieve the original key & drive away.

This will only be an interim measure until a programmed replacement key is obtained.

Sponsored Links
Open the car window & try if it dont work you can still get the key.

just in case i has elf closing electric windows , one of you could sit in the car and hold the key

better still, keep original in your pocket, lock and open with spare... (since youd have to do that anyway)

AFAIK, any key (correctly shaped that is) should open the door. not aware of any other electrics on it unlike ignition

Sponsored Links
had similar on VAUX> ASTRA...........cut key opens doors and turns starter ........but I needed the transponder?coded to work the immobiliser...on a bleedin diesel :eek: cost me £40.oo :cry:

Nige F ..had similar on VAUX> ASTRA...........cut key opens doors and turns starter ........but I needed the transponder?coded to work the immobiliser...on a bleedin diesel cost me £40.oo
Had to get new key for Astra also, but nice man at dealers came out to the car with his laptop & did it F.O.C. There are 1 or 2 nice people about

You can usually buy the keys uncut on ebay. All you need to do then is get it cut by a locksmith and program it.
Can usually program them yourself, should be a guide in your owners manual. Usually a case of popping it into the ignition and holding the button down for 10 seconds.

Forgive my ignorance but, if that's how you program them, why not just do that to nick the nice new car around the corner?

You have to get the key cut to fit the ignition barrel, then (on the slightly older Pugs anyway) you put the key in the ignition, turn on ignition and hold the button in to program the key to the alarm / immobiliser.

Seems a bit silly. I'm no thief but I know a little trick of how do get a key cut without having the original key.

G

Big G said:
Seems a bit silly. I'm no thief but I know a little trick of how do get a key cut without having the original key.

G

Ok........

So you find a car, use your "trick" to get a key cut, which will probably cost a fair bit from a bloke in the pub.
Then you have to disable the alarm before getting in the car.
You get in the car,program the key, start it up , and drive away.

Congratulations. you now have an old Pug for all your efforts :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back