Copying HDD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not too sure if this should be here or in Software...

As some regular posters will know, I have a clapped-out system that is trying my patience with many blue-screens becoming a daily feature.

I'd like to experiment a bit.

I have two HDD's on my PC. An old one (Drive D) and the one the system was built with. I'd like to copy this data to a new external HDD, then scrub Drive C & install XP.

Is this simple to do?

Or is it better to buy a couple of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/124678

and case Drives C & D up, replacing them with a new HDD?

Sponsored Links
SS,
As you keep getting BSOD, that would indicate serious system problems. My advice would be to get a decent external harddrive and copy everything in your fiolders over to it just as a backup.
You cannot just copy the XP operating system like you can folders, but if you have the XP disk you could reformat the HD and reinstall XP and see how you go.
Depending upon what error codes you get with the blue screen, you might be able to narrow down the problem that is causing it and then decide whether to get a new PC or try sorting this one out.

http://www.acronis.com/resource/tips-tricks/2004/blue-screen.html

See your other thread regarding getting a new PC.
dave

Files and Settings transfer wizard should be ok to use regardless of BSODs. This will take all your mail settings/messages etc as well as your 'My Documents' folder.

Do you have a lot of data to transfer? More than a couple of dvd's worth?
If not, use dvd's. If so, then yes, use an external hdd in a caddy.
Reformat, then uses the F&S Transfer wizard to put your stuff back on your system.

I'm happy to start from scratch with a new HDD, but would like to keep access to the data on the old ones.

From a technical POV, is it easier just to box up the old HDD's to effectively make them external ones, then fit a new HDD in place of the old drive C?

I don't want to copy the OS, but would like to install a more stable OS on the new drive.

I currently run Win ME (yuk) and have a copy of XP I could load up instead.

I'm just looking for a quick fix to eliminate blue screens temporarily before I do finally get a new system.

Sponsored Links
You could put a new Hard drive (master) in with the old one, make the old one a slave, install a new OS on the new Hard drive and copy what you want from the old hard drive.

But also as said, see your other post

I'm happy to start from scratch with a new HDD, but would like to keep access to the data on the old ones.

From a technical POV, is it easier just to box up the old HDD's to effectively make them external ones, then fit a new HDD in place of the old drive C?
Yes, easiest way, but you will lose your email settings if you use Outlook Express etc. If its purely stuff in your 'My Documents' that needs keeping then this is the way to go tbh as technically its very simple. I wouldn't put it in as a slave drive cos it still contains system files and will probably just confuse you when you are presented with a dual boot option once you installed your new xp hdd. Just do as you say, put it in a caddy and mount it externally for file access.

I don't want to copy the OS, but would like to install a more stable OS on the new drive.

I currently run Win ME (yuk) and have a copy of XP I could load up instead.
Oh dear lord! winME????

good find scottster but are they any good? Do you have one?

Sometimes these all-in-ones gimmicks are more trouble than they're worth.

Still, if you says its fine, i may get a couple myself. I'm always having to prat around with dodgy ide's and sata's at work.

have you considered using the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard?"

it is intended for moving your stuff from an old to a new computer

since you are getting BSODs on Win ME I reckon you need to install XP on a new HDD; that will effectively give you a new clean machine.

Win ME is a load of rubbish anyway.

I would also buy a new HDD, they are very cheap now, and you can use your old one(s) for backup or something if you like. Unless your case is very small it will have rom for an extra HDD (but I fitted removable caddies to mine, and have a couple of HDDs that I copy backups to and swap from time to time)

John: where do you find that wizard?

What you suggest is what I want to do: make my existing HDD's stand-alone for access to data only, then install fresh HDD & install non-DOS-based OS on it!!

Yeah, I know ME is rubbish, but it was all that was on offer when this PC was built: IME it's even less stable than Win 98!!

Is Vista any better than it was when first introduced?

on Win XP it is on All Programs, Accessories, System tools.

It is a long time since I used Win ME but I think that has a version too

If your old PC doesn't have it, you can make Win XP create a Wizard Disk on a Floppy by starting the Wizard after loading XP on your new PC. It specifically says that it can make a Wizard disk for Win 95, 98. 98SE, ME, NT4, 2000, XP or Server 2003

If you have no access to an XP machine already you may be swapping old and new HDDs inside your carcass a bit while doing the transfer.

There are various articles available such as http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx

good find scottster but are they any good? Do you have one?

Sometimes these all-in-ones gimmicks are more trouble than they're worth.

Still, if you says its fine, i may get a couple myself. I'm always having to prat around with dodgy ide's and sata's at work.

I have one, bought it on ebay for about a tenner, works fine, i use mine to back stuff up onto old HDDs i have.
There is not a lot to it, it is really just a cable converter with a USB plug on the end.

Files and Settings transfer wizard should be ok to use regardless of BSODs. This will take all your mail settings/messages etc as well as your 'My Documents' folder.

Do you have a lot of data to transfer? More than a couple of dvd's worth?
If not, use dvd's. If so, then yes, use an external hdd in a caddy.
Reformat, then uses the F&S Transfer wizard to put your stuff back on your system.

Huh! Ignore me then why dontchya?! :confused:

Huh! Ignore me then why dontchya?!
Who said that?

Heh, i was referring back to a post i made well before yours regarding the F&S wizard, but when you posted more or less the same advice much later the op took your post further, almost as if mine was ignored or just missed.....and i felt sad :cry:

I'm sure you can tell i'm joking. :D
As long as he gets what he wants its all good.

Sponsored Links
Back