Copyright Laws, Can I Do This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Designing my van signage and want to encorporate this into it

drippingtap.gif

Do I need permission from water-guide.org.uk or will it be fine to just go ahead and put it on there? (obviously editing out their website)

Sponsored Links
Their website is subject to copyright. I have a knowledge of copyright but I’m certainly no expert; my understanding is that you cannot reproduce anything contained on a copyrighted website (or document) without express permission, if you do, you will be infringing copyright.

Why don’t you ask them for permission, they can only say no; or change it slightly! ;)

I was afraid that would be the answer, I will have a go at changing it a bit, Cheers :)

What if you change the colour to dark blue and a difference spanner?

Sponsored Links
try google advanced search, it has an option to search for images which have various rights usage, you'll need to select the commercial option though, as some are only private use allowed, and as such you could get done.

TBH there's no garuntee that the owner of the water website where you found the above image is even the rightswner of that image, so even if you asked them if you could use it and they agreed you could still get done over! :eek:

best thing to do is always do your own, and be the rights owner yourself!

best thing to do is always do your own, and be the rights owner yourself!

as said best do your own design

even if the person who you copy the design from hasn't registered it they can still prosecute if they have been using the logo long before you.

i had a similar situation with name and logo that i had not registered and someone tried using the logo and altering it.
i had to prove i had designed the logo and it had been used for a number of yrs on all my paperwork.

i then registered the name and logo with the patent office for £200 for 10yrs. that includes all the searchs they do to make sure its not used and that it passes their satisfaction process.

but once registered you can't alter it in any way.

You can't use someone else's logo etc.

Even if no copyright mark is made, the company still has copyright on its business identification marks.

Even if a logo is slightly altered or rearranged, it will still be deemed as copyright infringement.

Trying to infer a relationship with another business if it is similar is known as "passing-off" is a separate issue which may be pursued by Trading Standards under criminal law or by the other company under common law.

You will need to get permission from the company in question, and may have to incorporate an acknowledgement of the copyright on the graphic - it depends on what the copyright holder states in its terms of use

[quote="seco services";p="1161950]
even if the person who you copy the design from hasn't registered it they can still prosecute if they have been using the logo long before you.

[/quote]

You don't need to 'register it' as soon as you make/write/draw/photograph something, you become the rights holder - the piece is then covered by copyright.

As long as you can proove that the (in this case an image), is your own original work, you can pursue copyright infringement under the law, to anyone who who alters, uses, or lays claim to the work.

Even if the person reproducing the (in this case image) has a copyright licence issued by the CLA, they are obliged to cite the rights owner with credit with the image, if they do not they then become subject to copyright infringement under the law.

My office job deals mainly with Copyright :rolleyes: :oops:

I've decided to not use the drip now, it wasn't their logo it was just out of a little cartoon that was made on their website but decided to go with something less cartoony.

View media item 9386
& I know I'm going to have to find a new web address because this one is reserved it's just for example :)

Sponsored Links
Back