GCSE electronics... help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
i andrew kinsey, im a student at st matts in manchester, im currently studing GCSE Electonics and i've come unstuck at the fact i have to encorporate a 3 block alarm system into it, the cirucits pretty much designed i just need to adjust it to my design, which is the problem. i don't have my problem outline or brief which basically means i can't carry on, ideally i should come up with this myself but i haven't got a clue. The others in my class are all doing boxes which according to my teacher wouldn't gain me the A* i require to go to the highest level i can, according to my teacher i need an individual design and there needs to be a true need for it, so please help i need to know what your thoughts are and where you need a basic alarm.

cheers

andy

p.s. burglar alarms wouldn't count at GCSE

Sponsored Links
An "intruder" alarm for someone with a big garden. It could go off to let them know if there is a prowler about.

Alternatively, it could be a temporary deployment for if your pet cat goes missing. Set it up around the garden and it would let you know when it detects a cat.

A mechanic working on his own in a garage. He could use an alarm so if someone nips in to steal a car whilst he is on the toilet he could pull his kecks up quick and investigate. ;)

AdamW said:
A mechanic working on his own in a garage. He could use an alarm so if someone nips in to steal a car whilst he is on the toilet he could pull his kecks up quick and investigate. ;)
assuming he has finished the paperwork first

How about using it to turn on a light circuit (say in the loby of a block of flats) when someone enters the building. This would allow the residents to see when they come in but turn off again as they go upstairs (thus saving energy).

You could also use it to actuate a camera to capture photos of, say, badgers where you have set up some bait.

There was also a thread on here (I can't find it now) that was posted by an art student. The idea was to mount a picture with lights trained on it behind a one way mirror. As the viewer approaches the lights go out and the viewer just sees a reflection of themself. The problem that the art student had was how to turn the lights off in response to the viewers proximity.

I'm not quite sure of what you mean by a "3 block alarm system" so sorry if these suggestions don't fit.

Sponsored Links
ok 3 block systeme basically means theres 3 parts to the circuit...ok

TexMex, these don't particulary count as alarms and also would be to big as is with the case with most of adams ideas, the one idea of adams that could work is the tools in a garage, in a cuboard or a box, this could work.

please keep the ideas coming, hopefully i might use one

how about an alarm on the front gate so a mother would be alerted if her young child is about to venture out onto the street. Or something similar for the drugs cabinet, or fridge/freezer or any other place the little urchin shouldn't be messing.

You know the security tags that boutiques have on their clothes? I heard of a scheme where the store would attach one of these to any child (when requested by the parent of course). That way if the child starts to venture out of the shop while the parent is not paying attention, the security guard would be alerted. You might get away with coming up with something similar.

Or how about something that could be setup around wet concrete. When someone comes close a "WARNING, STEP ON THAT CONCRETE AND YOU'LL REGRET IT" is sounded. Or something similar next to an electric fence that says something like "DON'T TAKE A LEAK HERE UNLESS YOU REALLY ENJOY PAIN".

nice idea with the gate, god i wish i had the tech to put it on a radio signal, but i don't so anymore ideas?

They obviously haven't got round to teaching the benefits of designing to requirement yet!! Never mind you'll find out all about that later on in life. :)

How about an alarm for water being too hot? There are many documented cases of children being scalded, so a temp sensor connected to either the hot water tap or even put into the bath and monitored could prove useful. Don't power it off 240v though or the potential benefits could be outweighed by the risk of electrocution!!

cheers ian nice idea, i'll bare this it in mind for the next one i have to do, keep your ideas coming please

How about a washing line (the aeriator type) that folds up and is covered by a umbrella, when rain is detected. Then unfolds as it turns dry again?

If you build it I'll buy one! ;)

yer, bit hard to find a motor that size that opartaes off 9v batteries n also it would cost abit though if you want to build i'll design.

andykinsey said:
yer, bit hard to find a motor that size that opartaes off 9v batteries n also it would cost abit though if you want to build i'll design.

You'll be suprised at what battery operated motors can achieve, ask my wife! :eek:

That reminds me, must spend less time on DIYnot.com!!! :confused:

On a serious note...

Why don't you lay down the criteria you have to meet first, then we can all contribute more suitable devices!

Like when a small battery operated motor is operated...Winows automatically shuts down!!!!!!!! :LOL:

ok criteria i know of is limited becuase i ahven't read it yet because i don't have the copy but basically from what i can gather.
:rolleyes: mmm lets c

it must be an alarm of some type run with no more power than 9v, the device must latch until reset, how its reset is up to the design, key pad or just a press.

ok hope you understand

I bought a relative an alarm fits on keyring, remove one half and clip to child, when child goes out of range half on key ring screaches, I was going to use it on our dogs collar but range was shorter than our yard is long.
Alarm for gates could be done by a small wireless one I bought by Micromark, works from contacts or vibration (also fits inside car window with velcro hit window alarm goes off in house), transmitter about size of 10 cig packet with small 12 battery, receiver has chime or latching alarm sounder, works off 3 x AA or 4.5v adapter, I am about to use it for freezer warning alarm if I can fit relay to freezer to trigger, tested it 70ft from freezer in garage to inside bungalow works great.
For bath water try an in/out digital thermometer that has bleeper when out of temperature range you set yourself.

Contax, look at the date the OP asked the question

Clue: Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 13:31

That's nearly 4 years ago safe bet he is no longer interested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back