Corbyn .......we'll cancel student loans / debt !!!

It's really funny that anti-Corbyn campaigners like Gasbag, Transam, Roger and Dog are spreading untrue slogans calculated to attract the under-60's to vote Labour.

It would be like somebody going round sticking up "Boris promises NHS an extra £350 million a week" posters in the old people's day centre where retired plumbers crouch over the communal computers, or "Theresa didn't mean it about Dementia Tax and Pensioners' Fuel Allowance" stickers.

Sponsored Links
Where is the Will of the people when it comes to affordable housing,overcrowding in schools. hospitals closing, less job security.

I think that at times, your need to make a political and social point, overshadows the argument you try and make.

The "will of the people" in the context of Brexit, as questioned by EFLs comments reagrding claims of democracy is paramount? has nothing to do with affordable housing, overcrowding in schools, hospitals closing, nor job security.

More people would agree with the above as half of the people had their will disregarded

And I'd love to know how you've managed to twist two distinctly seperate arguments together.

Students take out a loan from the govenment, and pay the universities they go to for their education. The government then charge interest on the debt, and will have to fund the shortfall in the loans that don't ever get paid off. So in the end, the shorfall has to get paid by the taxpayers.
In effect then, the government (taxpayer) has already paid for the students education. I.e. the money is already gone. Just like when it was 'free'.
So, in future higher income tax for all would return to the same situation as, pesumably, before the Government thought up the 'loan' scheme.

How do they manage in Scotland?

There's an argument that the students are paying twice for their education; firstly by paying off the loan at a rate of 9% of their salary over £21000, and secondly from the income tax they pay.
I don't see the paying twice argument stands.

Do they get tax relief on their repayments?

Sponsored Links
In effect then, the government (taxpayer) has already paid for the students education. I.e. the money is already gone. Just like when it was 'free'

Not quite, but almost. In the past, the cost of a university education would have come out of the education budget, but when Gordon Brown said that at least 50% of students should be able to go to university, the education budget wasn't sufficient to handle the extra teachers required plus all the extra costs involved, so Labour then started charging £3k per student, and the coalition government then put it up to £9k to help cover the increased costs. If students had to go to a bank to get a loan, then the loan would get repaid in full, but the government coalition said that in return for the higher costs, we'll write your loan off after 30 years, and most students earning under £42,000, don't pay off the loan completely, so it's the government, and therefore the taxpayer that has to fund the shortall.

Education is free in Scotland, but they restrict the numbers that can go to university, so keep the education bill down.

Maybe I should have said that they are paying for it in two ways rather than paying for it twice, as the income tax they pay, will pay for the shortfall in the loan repayments. I suspect a lot of kids went to university based on the argument that they'd never have pay off their loans, but I don't think many realised that they'd carry on paying towards the shortfall till the day they retire.

Once you earn over £21,000, you have to pay 9% on anything abover that figure, so at £22,000, you pay 9% of a £1,000, or £90, but the interest rises far quicker than you pay the loan off, and that seems to happen for about the first 5 to 10 years or so until you're earning enough to start paying off the interest.

No tax releif whatsoever.

Where is the Will of the people when it comes to affordable housing,overcrowding in schools. hospitals closing, less job security.

What a total BS soundbite "Will of the people". More people would agree with the above as half of the people had their will disregarded.

well then hold a referendum on the issues , schools, housing, etc let the people decided

doggit is referring to probably the most democratic vote this country has had in the last 40 odd years . The people decide & voted out the EU

that means it is the will of the people to leave the EU . Its called democracy , u know that BS concept that we & the west has been pontificating to the rest of the world about for years.

IF u or any one else do not like Democracy then tough. pack yer suit case and clear out if u are that bothered. If u own a house tough the state will commondere it when u clear out & use it to house the home less Corbyn will give u a government bond for it , not neccesarily the market value either :LOL: :LOL:

well then hold a referendum on the issues , schools, housing, etc let the people decided

doggit is referring to probably the most democratic vote this country has had in the last 40 odd years . The people decide & voted out the EU

that means it is the will of the people to leave the EU . Its called democracy , u know that BS concept that we & the west has been pontificating to the rest of the world about for years.

IF u or any one else do not like Democracy then tough. pack yer suit case and clear out if u are that bothered.
It is only one version of democracy, first-past-the-post. There are others.
It is why UK swings from left to right and back again each time we have a change of government. Other democratic countries have different systems and do not suffer the same extreme swings in policies.
Oh yes, and the EU!

A democracy relies on the cooperation of the people and a continuous coalition government (but possibly slightly different consistency each time) will always design policy for the masses, not just for the majority that voted.

It is interesting that the referendum was based on a simple majority, for the most far-reaching decision, possibly this century.
But for strike action a union must jump through hoops and meet parameters for strike action to be legal, designed by the Conservatives.

:rolleyes:Listen up way har bee there is still no news. All is not lost I have been in communication with my German contact

Wolfgang.

Wolfgang von Schmit & tbh if wolfgang does not know then no one knows ;) I will get back to you asap ;)

Incidentally they call him Schmitty u may have heard of him ? he invented & patented non stick glue ??

:rolleyes:Listen up way har bee there is still no news. All is not lost I have been in communication with my German contact

Wolfgang.

Wolfgang von Schmit & tbh if wolfgang does not know then no one knows ;) I will get back to you asap ;)

Incidentally they call him Schmitty u may have heard of him ? he invented & patented non stick glue ??
How about addressing the issue instead of resorting to gibberish?

It's really funny that anti-Corbyn campaigners like Gasbag, Transam, Roger and Dog are spreading untrue slogans calculated to attract the under-60's to vote Labour.

It would be like somebody going round sticking up "Boris promises NHS an extra £350 million a week" posters in the old people's day centre where retired plumbers crouch over the communal computers, or "Theresa didn't mean it about Dementia Tax and Pensioners' Fuel Allowance" stickers.

:eek: un true slogans :eek: what un true slogans ?

I believe the whole higher education system and its financing needs reform.

the anti-elitist attitude that led to promoting higher education meant that huge numbers of A level students began to choose 'uni' as the next step. Also at the same time, polytechnics were allowed to claim university status and the number of non vocational or non pure academic degree courses grew.

The country does not need millions of 'media graduates' from some third rate university.

And it certainly cant afford it.

I think tuition fees should be scaled according to the level of vocational skill gained. So those courses like nursing, radiography, medicine could be paid off after graduating by government grants whilst other courses that have less vocational worth should be funded more by the student.

At the same time further education courses and apprenticeship places should be improved in quality and number.

I realise this could be argued to be social engineering.

Any one studying Medicine , engineering etc should not have to pay any thing (free)

drama , art, music & the list could go on should pay my op any way :)

......... the list could go on should pay my op any way :)
If I tried to understand that comment I would have to assume that **** end meant:
"the list could go on, should pay. Myop(ia) any way."
Assuming **** end could not spell myopia.
You get myopia from too much navel gazing, **** end. :LOL::LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back