Locking up in NYC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey DIY-ers,

After moving to New York (city) and having a bad experience of a break-in in the first few months that my family and I were living here, I've become quite security-conscious. In my hometown up north, paranoia wasn't really a thing – I knew everyone, and the area was wealthy and decent enough that the local people didn't have to resort to crime.

Here in New York, unfortunately, we're in a slightly “sketchy” neighborhood, because that's what we can afford at the moment. I have a good job, but the wife is taking it slow in getting work – she's taking care of our two daughters, helping them adapt (and adapting herself) to life in the big city, and so on. We'll probably be here for a few years at least, which is fine, because the neighborhood is predicted to improve, but it's not *quite* at the level where I can have peace of mind.

So I wanted to ask the community here for some advice. We've always been financially responsible, so we have a reserve of cash saved up, and we had some money saved for home improvement before we moved here. Now I'm thinking of using that money to hire a proper locksmith, install new locks on the doors and windows, and maybe get a safe.

Since I don't have experience with this sort of stuff, I thought maybe asking people who knew much more about it would be a good idea. After a quick Google Search, I found a place called Precision Lock and Safe, run by two Jewish brothers. They have apparently been active at the Safe and Vault Technicians Convention, giving classes/lesson, etc. But what are some questions I should ask when talking to them, or any other locksmith? What are the best kinds of locks for home protection? (The kind we have now are really pretty bad – I mean, we got new ones after the break-in, but as a temporary, “holdover” measure)

About the safe – I need something to store documents that have financial, legal, and sentimental value, so I should probably opt for a fireproof safe, no? Would it be better to install a wall safe?

Certainly there are probably answers to most of my questions on the internet, but you know... Everybody's got their own interests, and by everybody I mean most websites. I figured a forum might be cleaner of self-interest. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Buy a shotgun.

Learn how to use it, have the wife learn how to use.

Use it carefully.

W.

Not much use if your not in. But I guess it was a flippant comment. Here in the UK the local police force crime prevention units will give free advice on home security. I dont know if its the same in the states but maybe worth a try.

Also worth getting some advice from local locksmiths / home security firms, obviously without seeing your home its hard to suggest anything specific. Good luck.

Remember a lock is only as good as the door and frame it's attached to.

I remember seeing a video of the police using a battering ram on a PVC-U door and knocking the whole frame out of the wall.

Sponsored Links
How were you burgled? Improving the locks is only helpful if that was a weakness that they chose to exploit?

Fire safes are not always very secure. Security safes are not always fire resistant. Which is more likely in your house, a fire or a burglary?

Back