Lock on loft window - Insurance requirement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do we need locks on roof windows?

We have put loft windows in with a new extension.
Insurance companies usually ask for locks on "accessible" windows.
Burglars would be accessible with a longish ladder. They would still need to break the window or remove tiles to get through the roof.

Sponsored Links
That's a very easy question.

You just read your insurance policy, and the "minimum security standards" leaflet that it may reference.

Mine says ground floor windows, and those accessible e.g. from flat roofs

If you need a ladder to get at it, my policy would not require a lock.

If I took contrary advice from some anonymous person on the interweb, my insurers would not consider that overrode their policy.

I don't know why you are wasting your money on Insurance, if you fit window locks, then any insurance policy also dictates that you don't just fit these locks but also use them each time you go out even just to pop next door for a minute! They can simply refuse a pay out if it was found that thieves entered through a window that was not secured when you left.

secondly, if you do fit locks, then thieves won't be able to come in, so if they can't come in, then do you really need an insurance, unless they break that window, which is rare as most thieves are opportunist, and will only raid or enter a house that has been left with a window or a door unsecured, rarely they break doors or windows down, as that attracts attention and they risk getting caught red handed, so why do you need an insurance when you have to fit special locks!

In the past 30 years, I have not had any house insurance! and I have saved myself a fortune, let us say at 300 quid a year for 30 years comes to 9 grand, but add the compound interest at say a moderate 5%, you would have well over 20 grand, so if I do get a break in now, i could replace items for all that money I have saved!

insurance is a farce, when you have one, it will make you careless and you would end up claiming! Your premiums go up, so you can never really win in the long term, so why not save your premiums for yourself for a rainy day!

When I was getting house insurance quotes recently I saw how much more it was to say I didn't have window locks. It was a couple of quid more without locks.

So I said we didn't have them.

So if some fecker breaks in and nicks everything (and after I have called the cops and constable Bean laughs into his doughnuts) the insurance cannot say I'm not covered because I forgot to lock a window.

I did the same for an alarm, only costs a few extra quid to say you don't have one. So they cannot refuse to pay out if it hasn't been serviced.

I don't think refusing house insurance is good advice. It's a known amount you can budget for, and if your house burns down and you don't have it your life gets seriously messed up. Buildings/contents insurance is quite cheap, and although I know the insurance company makes a profit, the cost of having to rebuild your house is just unaffordable to the vast majority.

Sponsored Links
Its not theft that makes me insure my house, it's fire.

Back