insurance- locks- windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am currently repainting side and top hung (timber) windows for a customer (ground floor).

I will be replacing the window furniture. Previously the customer had old Ingersol window locks that were a PITA to release (using a thin "key" with an internal square profile). Initially, I suggested using the window stays with the "nut/lock" that you need a key to remove.

eg https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/product/window-accessories-609785

He said that he doesn't particularly want the hassle of using a key every time that he wants to open a window. He just wants to lift the stay and then twist the upper handle.

The lower part of the bay has 4 side hung windows, above there are two top hung windows.

Do most insurance companies insist on keyed locks (and do they have to actually be locked)? He has two Banham vibration sensors on the windows. As far as he is concerned, if someone smashed the glass, they could just climb through the window. The keyed locks wouldn't change that, and if they had already entered form a different part of the house, he would like them to be able to exit without having to confront them.

Yeah, I could ask him to check with his insurance company, but he is going on holiday tomorrow and I hope to be finished before he gets back.

I am hoping that someone with real world experience can advise.

Thanks in adavance.

Sponsored Links
not an expert here - but my limited experience is different companies ask for different standards on locks and windows locks - i change companies most years, and this has always been 1 of the questions - so it would depend on what they have already been told. Previously we said we had nolocks on windows - until i had them all replaced and updated.
Same as door lock - BS standard - but i said its not used , just a standard yale lock - may have put the policy up a little

One company insisted that all windows and door had locks to a certain standard - so i passed on that company recently

same as Alarms, I know on a couple of insurance friends have taken out and they say no on the alarm, as if its mentioned on policy it has to be used to be covered

All insurance companies I ever subscribed to asked for windows to be fitted with a lock, not to lock them when going out.
Who locks all windows when going out???
To me it's just a waste of time because no burglar would ever enter by opening a window by the lock.
They would either break the glass, remove a side window altogether or via front door.
Once I saw a programme where they showed some statistics and over 90% of burglars enter houses via unlocked front doors or open windows.
In other words, opportunistic burglaries.
Said this, most window locks come with a filmsy key which is either left in the lock and never used or removed and thrown into a drawer somewhere.

All insurance companies I ever subscribed to asked for windows to be fitted with a lock, not to lock them when going out.
Who locks all windows when going out???
To me it's just a waste of time because no burglar would ever enter by opening a window by the lock.
They would either break the glass, remove a side window altogether or via front door.
Once I saw a programme where they showed some statistics and over 90% of burglars enter houses via unlocked front doors or open windows.
In other words, opportunistic burglaries.
Said this, most window locks come with a filmsy key which is either left in the lock and never used or removed and thrown into a drawer somewhere.
Exactly this ...personally don't see why they have to lock with a key,if someone has got to the point of getting to the ' button' on a window lock then they have more than likely already smashed the glass! But this is insurance companies
...personally I'd try a different insurance company lol

Sponsored Links
I understood it that they ask if the windows have locks on, so that an extra clause goes into the policy stating that they must be used when going out. So it would enable them to potentially slip out of a claim if a window was left open etc. I always tell them the windows dont have locks as I never actually lock them with the key.

I understood it that they ask if the windows have locks on, so that an extra clause goes into the policy stating that they must be used when going out. So it would enable them to potentially slip out of a claim if a window was left open etc. I always tell them the windows dont have locks as I never actually lock them with the key.
Never heard of an insurance company denying a claim because the window wasn't locked.
Again, they ask if windows have a lock fitted, but there's no clause saying that you must lock it when going out.
In fact, there's no even a clause about locking the front door.

Only question I’ve seen on home insurance is ”Do your windows have key operated locks”.

Do most insurance companies insist on keyed locks (and do they have to actually be locked)? He has two Banham vibration sensors on the windows. As far as he is concerned, if someone smashed the glass, they could just climb through the window. The keyed locks wouldn't change that, and if they had already entered form a different part of the house, he would like them to be able to exit without having to confront them.
I wondered the same things.

How can window locks be a deterrent? A burglar won’t know if the window is locked until after they have smashed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back