CHUBB safe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a chubb safe which is bolted into the concrete floor. It has been here since we moved into this house. It is "open" but the lock is locked if that makes sense. We do not have a code.

Is this safe worth anything / worth keeping? I emailed a local locksmith but didn't hear back. I guess we need it serviced in order to change the code.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• 15050689236111363178435.jpg
    15050689236111363178435.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 379
Sponsored Links
it looks quite modern but might have been resprayed. The date should be on the plate on the inside of the door. It should also certify it contains no asbestos. With the door open it will be relatively straightforward to change the combo. It might even still be on the default setting (this is often done when they change hands).

as it is not hidden, it will not be much good for your valuables. Any ne'erdwell will see it and assume it is full of cash or drugs, and may threaten or injure you and your family until you agree to open it.

Safes are very heavy and this limits the market for second-hand ones. Examples on here.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...+safe+-fire+-lock+-data+-black+-iron&_sacat=0

ignore fire safes and data safes which are not the same thing.

p.s.

do not shut and lock the door until at least two people have successfully unlocked it, using the combination, a dozen times.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks for the info.

Looks like it's worth a bit more than the 80 quid I was about to let it go for!

Will try the combination shown above.

Good point about being coerced into opening it!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
perhaps you could conceal it by putting the shell of a boiler or fridge over it.

dormermike, Good evening.

A fairly substantial bit of kit? not just a bolt on to the wall cheap jack Key Safe?

Somewhere inside the Safe there should be a series of numbers, One will be the makers code number for the Safe, as well as a serial number.

As for its worth simply use Google and the Chub model number, this will give you a second hand cost.

As for worth keeping?? depends on your life style and what valuables you have? and any insurance requirements for "Safe" [ no pun intended] storage.

I have seen one or two of these things in Private properties, generally a Shop keeper who had to take the days takings home.

Ken

It looks like it might be a Leamington

http://www.a1safes-removalsanddisposal.co.uk/page-two

see also

"We provide a free Chubb safe identification service please see below list of prefix codes, listing Chubb’s popular cash safes over the last 30 years.
The prefix code can be located on the safes plague found on inside of the safes door and is the first character detailed.
Please note: if you don’t have access to the inside of the safe there maybe other distinguishable markings on the exterior of the safe including the serial number."

https://www.chubb-safe.co.uk/safe-id

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back