Scottish Power cold callers!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So there I was, minding my own business, getting slowly merry this afternoon after a rubbish week at work. Get a 'Knock Knock' at the door.

Open door, Scottish Power minion is stood there all smarmy and smiley.

Minion: "Hello Sir. You're not a Scottish power customer, are you?"

Wow. He can read his own database!

Me: "Er, nope. British Gas"

Minion: "Well, We want you back!"

Me:"O...k..."

Minion:(Rabbits at length about various reasons why British Gas are
poo)

Me: (too tipsy to give much of a crap but listened out of general politeness)

Minion: "So, Mr Smith (wrong name!) Shall we just step inside, We can get the paperwork started, yes?"

Me: "huh? I don't think we've really made up our minds who we're going with. British Gas is just fine at the mo" (+ other general 'bugger off, I'm not interested' phrases).

Minion: "You what? Why not (getting all huffy) Don't you want to save money? Is that it? It's just a case of getting a different card! Give me one good excuse why you don't want to change to Scottish power!" (ranting like a sulky teenager at this point)

Me: "never said I didn't. Just said We haven't given it much thought. If you could leave some details on prices, we'll give it some serious thought (Really meant this bit - sounded good).

Minion:"Oh, whats the point!? People like you never actually change. You're all the same. Just excuses."

Me: "No. We might change. It's just I don't really feel like giving my bank details away to some cold caller. We will probably change, just want some time to look it over. I'd rather ring your call centre or do it online".

minion: "So what was the point in me knocking on your door then? I'm just trying to make some money and save you some at the same time. If you're going to do all this online, I might as well have stayed at home!"

Me: "Fair enough. Can i have that leaflet with the price details on it to look over?"

Minion: "No. I need these for the real customers" (Stomps, Yes, Stomps off and slams gate!)

Look at the wife, Roll eyes, both mutter "******".

I really was considering switching right up until the bit where the guy became an arsehole!

Sponsored Links
I would of said " do you fu#k, ? well fo#k off " he might of been thinking about his commision so he could get out tonight :LOL:

He was definitely thinking of his commission. I expect if you sign tonight (and don't cancel) he gets paid; otherwise he doesn't. He's probably on an incentive plan that is supposed to drive him to make sales, but ends up with him hating the people who take up his time and don't earn him anything. Commission plans can do that. He's not paid to maintain the company's image or do anything else but deliver customers.

these poor ***s are probably recruited from the ranks of the desperate unemployed as cold-callers; it's an awful job, most people wouldn't want to do it. Even worse than working in a Hell Desk as you get abused to your face.

If you feel like it you can complain to SP, but it won't make them change the way they treat the employees that causes this behaviour, it'll just earn him a wigging or put him back among the unemployed.

Anybody who gets remotely pushy with me gets the door slammed in their faces.

Along with a gentle reminder NOT to waste time trying to sell to someone who is not at all interested, but to invest that time selling to someone who IS. That is what any really smart salesperson would do.

A tip from Mrs Secure - a professional saleswoman...

Sponsored Links
I've had Scottish Power knock at the door and pretend to be from the energy ombudsmen and chastise the people who I did sign up to (Southern Electric) the week before. It was only as the discussion went on that it suddenly emerged he was from SP !!!
That's when my mood changed :mad:

Back