cordless vs corded, advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just done a course in carpentry and plan to start earning my living from it. I've got 2/3 jobs lined up fitting bespoke shelving and cupboards. So I need to tool up.

Looking at the Screwfix Makita 18v cordless set

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...Y?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=52196&x=11&y=15

or the Bosch 18/24v kit

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j...EY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=62752&x=14&y=9

I don't know in the future whether I will be doing this kind of 240v work or 110v site work. Hence the interest in cordless. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't vouch for the other tools but I do have the Makita drill with a couple of 3Ah batteries and it's flaming marvellous.

I've got the bosch set, and can vouch for it's performance. The makita is good and has an all important third battery but you'll find a lot less use for the recip saw compared to the planer which the Bosch does have.

The annoying thing about the Bosch is that you have to lug 18v and 24v batteries about. I believe you get 2 of each but 24v only used for the circ saw. I have the 18v circ saw so don't have this problem. In any case, get a third 18v battery. (about £50 on eBay) Actually you can get this kit on eBay (seller ID tool-stop), much cheaper than sfix price.

If you are doing lots of cabinetry work then a smaller drill/driver will be much more useful than the 18v combi-behemoth. Sfix have a Bosch 12v driver with 3 batteries for £69, or get the GSR10.8v li-ion driver, which is the dogs conkers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back