resin fixings in tarmac

Sponsored Links
so forgive the daft question... but how do i fix to tarmac?

you can't.

tarmac is if you will, a bunch of similar sized stones "glued" together, but the glue is not that strong, its great if you compress it, (walk or drive on it) but if you pull it (or fix to it in your case) its not that stong

but you can fix through tarmac to what it is layed on.

Sponsored Links
ok that makes sense. And i suspect there endeth my quest...
but what makes me curious is that at my kids' school, some contractors have erected a stage and seating, and the feet of the seating are 'fixed' to the tarmac, and covering the top of the fixing (in the timber) is some hard set 'gunk', almost like a silicon or filler but rock hard, so you can't see a mechanical fixing.

Any ideas what that is? it's colour was cream/buff colour.

if you want to fix to tarmac you will need to set some concrete restraining pads beneath the finished surface.

fix the bench to the concrete pads then make the tarmac good.

There's nothing to stop you using resin on tarmac as long as you know its limitations. It'll stop stuff moving around or being nicked, but it won't take a constant strain. Think of it as cold toffee - pull hard enough for long enough and it will give, but for general use it should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back