Corefix - spinning screw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Putting up a tv bracket into dot and dab, i've used the Corefix 100mm. 2 out of 4 screws do not tighten although it seems to have "caught" (if that's the right term) the anchor. Used 10 drill bit but maybe i should have used a 9.
What can i do to tighten them except drill new holes?
Can i put something inside the anchor i.e. strimmer piece, wood or plastic cable tie? Or do i need to take the anchor out first?

Sponsored Links
I assume by anchor you mean the red plug, the steel core doesn't expand though, it just prevents the plasterboard from collapsing into the wall.

So you would have to take the plug and steel core out of the hole you drilled, and find a way of getting filler into it, then re drilling carefully, all of which would be almost as difficult as the options you mention, if not impossible, and almost guarantee making shoite of the whole thing. Depending on the overall loading, you could use one of the heavier duty fixings like Gripit for the two holes that failed, they take a larger diameter hole so you can effectively re drill.

Otherwise you might be able to move the bracket to the side and start again. 10mm is the correct drill size, you probably enlarged the diameter through excess drill speed and/ or movement. It is better to drill a 10mm hole carefully than to replicate bad practice with a 9mm bit.

Good luck

Sponsored Links
sometimes it is best to drill in stages, then the final hole ends up the correct bore, so a 9mm first followed by the 10 will have less wobble in the hole.

Corefix is the right fixing for dot and dab. Prob would have been a good idea to use a 9mm bit first.

If it were me, i would try again if you got the room.

Thanks! Used those and fit perfectly into the holes. Bolts tightened and I don't think that tv is going anywhere! (Famous last words!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back