Fixing coat rack to plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have been trying to fix a coat rail similar to this one to a plasterboard wall.

I got myself a pack of these metal anchor bolts from B&Q. It says on the pack "suitable for plasterboard". The steps for installing them are as follows:

1) Drill hole
2) Insert anchor into wall, ensuring the teeth at the end sink in to the plasterboard
3) Screw the screw as far in to the anchor as it will go
4) Unscrew it again, which should cause the anchor to expand out, as can be seen here.

So I have done the above, I have two anchors in my wall where the screws for the coat rail need to go in. But the screw can still be inserted 80% of the way in to each anchor without meeting resistance, indicating that the (crucial) expanding part of step 4 has not happened.

My questions are:
1) What has gone wrong here? Why hasn't it expanded? Are the anchor bolts faulty? Is there anything I can do to convince it to work now? What should I have done here instead?

2) How can I proceed from here? All I can think of is inserting the screw in to the anchor, turning the screw in, then using a claw hammer to remove the whole lot, no doubt damaging a load of the surrounding plasterboard in the process.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
These devices are best fixed with a setting tool which compresses the things for you, but the secret is to ensure the barb is gripping the plasterboard before you tighten the screw.....the screw will become hard to turn as it compresses the steel sleeves of the fixing and often enough it seems to take an age to get the thing to fully compress.
I'd have a go at compressing the thing again - when its fully bitten up it will be very firm.
There's a couple of ways at removing these.......insert the screw, and then tap it in with a hammer to uncompress the fitting, or maybe drilling the head off and letting the fitting fall into the wall void. Damage can be limited but seldom absent!
John :)

Thanks John, very helpful indeed.

- Setting tool sounds interesting, can it be used after the anchor is in the wall? Are they expensive?

- What exactly do I need to do to try and make the thing compress? You mentioned "ensure the barb is gripping the plasterboard", how can I make sure of that? Hammering the fixing in? The thing is already pressed pretty far in to the wall. It does look to me like the tooth is sunk in.

Sponsored Links
The setting tool is only used on a new fitting, I'm afraid.....it has a claw that grips under the screw head after the fitting is pushed into the wall. Operating handles compresses the fitting without any need to stop it turning.
The barbs I'm on about dig into the wall to stop the fitting from spinning before it is fully set.
Now - try turning the screw more, just watching for the fitting body trying to turn with it.
There are different sizes of fitting, which have to be chosen to suit the thickness of the board......if the fitting is too long at the shoulder for the board, the fitting will be fully compressed but can still spin, unfortunately.
My tip of hitting the fitting with the screw in has the effect of de- telescoping the fitting, if you can follow that, which helps with it's removal to some degree.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back