Cork tile removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to use a bolster chisel and 2lb hammer as well as a scraper to remove tiles laid 20 years ago. I am only removing them as some have been damaged when the dishwasher leaked, the insurance company insisting on replacement with ceramic tiles.

Sponsored Links
Guess there's no easier way then? I've tried to remove some today and ended up with the same tools - plus a hot air stripper and two broken scrapers!

Anyone know if you can use self-levelling compound over broken cork tiles?

David

No, I am not the Keith Rutter in New Jersey, I am the keith Rutter in Wales, UK, but the tiles stick just as well over here. A sharp scraper was the only thing that had any effect. I tried wire brush, even a wire brush on an angle grinder, but it just melts the old adhesive.

Sponsored Links
No Keith, not New Jersey. Jersey, Channel Islands. But no matter.
But thanks for answering

I've just had to remove 30 year old cork tiles from a bathroom floor. Hitting with chisels and hammers was too heavy for me as I have girly muscles so I had to find a different way. I used an old iron, set it on cotton/linen and left it on the cork floor for several minutes. Then I was able to scrape up an iron-shaped area quite easily as the glue had melted. It took ages but worked and most of the glue came up as well. I timed the work for when I was doing something else close by so that I could be getting on with something while I was waiting yet could keep an eye on the iron.

Genius. Great use of iron!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back