Corner plot extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Before we put an offer in I was wondering if anyone knows about extending sideways on a corner plot? The only reason we would buy this house would be to extend, make downstairs bigger and 2 extra bedrooms upstairs. Inane however been told you must be 2 meters from the boundary. In which case this is no good, what do you think?
//www.diynot.com/network/Connie22/albums/

Sponsored Links
You would need planning permission. Not sure what you mean by the 2m thing? Nobody can predict if you would be successful but looking at your photos I would say you would have a good chance though whether they would give permission for something big enough to accommodate all of your requirements is again difficult to answer. You could do worse than looking in your Local Plan for guidance on the design of domestic extensions.

Thankyou for reply. At first I was told you couldn't extend on a corner plot, so I looked it up and i read that you must be 2 meters within your boundaries. Which I found strange, just wondered if anyone else had been in the same situation. It also said each case on a corner plot is different. Do you know who I would speak to to get some answers? Is it local councils?

A side extension and one that faces a highway will be considered on its own merit, nobody on here can predict if you will be successful or not and neither can the council or anyone else. You need to speak with the Planning Department of your Local Authority. Some authority’s are a lot more helpful than others though anything they do tell you will only be their opinion so in reality not much use. Some authority’s will expect you to pay for some useless advice which might take 6 weeks or so.

Generally you will be able to speak with the ‘duty officer’ who will/may be prepared to give you some basic advice over the phone. When you speak with them though ask them where you can find their ‘Local Plan’ online and get them to email you the link. Then have a look to see what the guidance is for domestic extensions and that may give you a better idea.

Frankly though if you buying this house depends solely on you being able to do a two story extension with two bedrooms upstairs or not then it’s probably not a wise purchase unless you have the time to apply for planning permission.

Sponsored Links
As well as general building design, Planning may also look to make sure adequate off-street parking can be provided. That is if you are providing additional bedrooms (as you say) and/or the proposals will result in alterations to the existing parking arrangements (e.g. removal of existing garage, carport, driveway parking).

Could you/your solicitor check to see if the property has PD rights intact? Although if you were going to the PD route and were proposing what could be a side extension, it could only be single storey so no additional (bed)rooms at first floor level.

As well as general building design, Planning may also look to make sure adequate off-street parking can be provided. That is if you are providing additional bedrooms (as you say) and/or the proposals will result in alterations to the existing parking arrangements (e.g. removal of existing garage, carport, driveway parking).

Could you/your solicitor check to see if the property has PD rights intact? Although if you were going to the PD route and were proposing what could be a side extension, it could only be single storey so no additional (bed)rooms at first floor level.

There is little point checking if PD rights are intact in this situation, as ANY side extension (regardless of scale) on a corner plot like this will require planning permission (Class A, Part D)

As Freddy explains, it will require a planning application and will be assessed on it's own merits.

The "2m from a boundary" rule you discussed may be part of the local councils planning guidance, but again being on a corner plot, this may catch other guidance I.E. They may want to preserve the openness of the corner / it may cause highway safety issues, there may be appeal decisions / previous refusals - there's a myriad of reasons it may or may not gain approval)

Someone familiar with the local processes will be best to assist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back