Corner work space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to change our "office with a bed in it" back to a "spare room with a desk in the corner", so trying to utilise an alcove to fit a desk and shelves.

The dimensions of the alcove are:
- Back 1.1m
- Left hand depth / chminey breast 0.33m
- Desk depth on left -- full depth (0.33m); on right -- approx 0.7m
- Ceiling approx 2.6m

The pic below shows roughly what I'm trying to do though not really to scale and only shows 1 shelf, where I'd probably put 4 or so
(first time I've used sketchup ...)

For the desk:
I was thinking of MDF with battens around the sides and back, battens fixed every 0.25-0.3m. I already have some spare 25mm MDF - maybe this is too thick though, in which case would 18mm do it?

Would this work?

For the shelves:
They'd be holding books/files so need to take decent amount of weight. Again, I was thinking of battens round sides & back then either MDF or chip. Would prefer MDF if I could get away with 9 or 12mm (ie thinner than standard conti).

The walls themselves are plaster onto brick and although the house is a victorian terrace I think the plaster is more recent (so doesn't all fall out at the first hint of drilling).

As I make the shelves I'll probably put some box section trunking up each side (either at the sides or at the back) so I can hide cables up & down as they'll be various bits of computer stuff & speakers etc and several switchable 6 ways fixed to the wall at the back under the desk.

Any hints/suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Even 25mm will sag under a heavy load of books, batten along the back at least. Screwed into the mdf and the wall.

Sponsored Links
Even 25mm will sag under a heavy load of books, batten along the back at least. Screwed into the mdf and the wall.

I'm definitely going to put batten all round the shelf, so yes, including along the back. I was hoping I might be able to use 18mm for the shelves - a slightly slimmer appearance but also reduces the weight of the shelf itself.

Hopefully 2"x1" will be adequate for supporting both desk & shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back