Correct amount of inhibitor used? & lockshield valve cap needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inhibitor:

Story short, was able to get the plumber to put in some inhibitor today (yes i know it sounds like a task - story short)...
When i got home i noticed he'd left the inhibitor bottle by the boiler & i'm just wondering if it's enough.

It's a 500ml bottle stamped up as 4Trade & says minimum dosage rate is 500ml per 100litre system capacity.

Now i've no idea how much juice is in my system. I have upstairs - 1 towel rad, 2 single panel single convector rads at approx 1.7mtr-x-0.6mtr, 1 rad approx 750mm-x-600mm single panel single convector.

Downstairs is 1x 1800x600mm double-double, 2x 700-x-600 double-double, 2x 900-x-600mm double-double.
10mm pipe work feeding the rads.

Just wondering if it's enough or not.

Lockshield valve cap:

I've had a fair amount of work done & the rads needed to come off. Somehow the lockshield cap has gone missing to the big rad in the living room.

The TRV is stamped up as danfoss & i'm guessing they come in pairs so the other end will be a danfoss valve.
The bit that you'll have to tighten/open with pliers is threaded inside for a screw if this helps.

If you need photos then i can sort this out tomorrow but is there any chance anyone would be able to link up to what i'd need here?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
As a rough rule of thumb. 100l is about 10 single panels. I count 14 in your description so possibly slightly underdosed but I wouldn't let it worry you too much

As for the lock Shields. I know the valves you are talking about. It will have come as a pair with the rasc2 thermostatic valve. You could try ringing Dan foss to see if they will send you a cap. Or you could buy a new valve and use the cap. Or just ignore it. It's just a dust cap so it is not critical that it is on

Last edited:
Oh right. I thought the cap enabled you to turn the valve on/off without the need to go rooting through the shed for some pliars? Aside from it looking better too.
Thanks for the info anyway.

As for the inhib - I understand just because he left 1 bottle doesn't necessarily mean that's all he used but the fact he wasn't going to put any in until prompted makes me think that's all that was used.

So there won't be any negative effect by running with less than needed?

As I was thinking of just picking up some of that Sentinel x100 at the weekend & sticking that in as well.

Last edited:
Oh right. I thought the cap enabled you to turn the valve on/off without the need to go rooting through the shed for some pliars? Aside from it looking better too.
Thanks for the info anyway.

As for the inhib - I understand just because he left 1 bottle doesn't necessarily mean that's all he used but the fact he wasn't going to put any in until prompted makes me think that's all that was used.

So there won't be any negative effect by running with less than needed?

As I was thinking of just picking up some of that Sentinel x100 at the weekend & sticking that in as well.

No harm In putting another bottle in. You can't overdose inhibitor. But I wouldn't mix different brands. Put another bottle of the 4trade stuff that the plumber put in

Sponsored Links
The usual expectation is that most average systems in a three bed semi will have a volume of about 70-80 litres so 500 ml of inhibitor is correct. Its not critical though.

I have to say that I always prefer to use Sentinel or Fernox products at about £18 each. The other names are a lot cheaper to buy, some just £3 to £6!

Of course plumbers who like to make more profit like to use them and will argue that they are as good as the market leaders.

The reality is that no one knows what is in them! There are no independent tests! That being the case I don't like to take any risks and like to use the best and charge for labour accordingly rather than making an extra margin by using second rate unknown products.

Tony

The guys invoice came through today.

Original quote over the phone - day rate of £200, inhibitor will be needed.

Job was done. Inhibitor wasn't going to be put in until prompted though invoice states 1ltr was added. Job was split over 2 days (their choice) for a total of 4 maybe 5 at a push hours. Certainly no more than 5.

Invoice charge.....£220.

I'll tell my boss tomorrow that i'm knocking off at dinner time but i want paying for the full day. See how i get on :)

Well we don't know what was being done but the hourly rate works out at £45 which is not too unreasonable.

The problem with jobs taking a few hours is that its not always very efficient as there may not be other work to go to which can "use up" a couple of hours.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back