Parapet wall capping

12 Aug 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom

Despite Googling alot I'm unable to find if there is a specific measurement required for building regs regarding overhang when capping a parapet wall with coping stones?

I have a single story extension, double skin + cavity - 2 sides measure 275mm across the cavity and the front measures 290mm. Would a 350mm wide coping do the job i.e. 30mm overhang on on each side on the widest part, or do I need to up to 380mm or 400mm?

Here's what I'm looking at:-

While I'm at it, can anyone advise what else I need to order for the bricky? I'm thinking I need the following:-
DPC and Cavity Support
Polysulphide sealant - unsure how many I need for 28 Copings on approx 15M run.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
If you need to use that stone capping then I would go with the 380 but only to ensure that the drip is kept away from the outer faces of the walls.

That said this was discussed lately and conclusions seem to err towards does having an overhang really matter anyway, just how much water will run off the capping anyway. Sometimes just a lead capping will do. //
Thank you! I'll order the 380's

Do you know what else my bricky will need? We're just paying day rate and supplying the materials.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local