Correct battery voltage?

I

imamartian

There's a guage on my dashboard which shows the battery voltage. It ranges from 8 to 16 volts (with the 8v mark and the 16v mark being red and the rest blue).

When i got back to my car tonight after work, i put the keys in the ignition and the guage went up to 12 volts - fine. But when i turned the engine on it steadily went up to 15v, even though i had the heated rear window and the blowers on full.

Why would it be so high? and what happens when it gets to 16volts?

Sponsored Links
There's a guage on my dashboard which shows the battery voltage. It ranges from 8 to 16 volts (with the 8v mark and the 16v mark being red and the rest blue).

When i got back to my car tonight after work, i put the keys in the ignition and the guage went up to 12 volts - fine. But when i turned the engine on it steadily went up to 15v, even though i had the heated rear window and the blowers on full.

Why would it be so high? and what happens when it gets to 16volts?

Perfectly normal, the alternator is doing it's job, 14.5 / 15 volts is the normal charging voltage for a 12 volt battery.

Wotan

14V is fine, 15 is alittle excessive but the reading is prob due to an inaccuracy with the gauge. Test the output with a multi meter at the battery to see what its actually giving out :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
However, one thing i've noticed... is i get lots of blown brake lights.... could that be a symptom?

If it hits 15v or 16v it can overcharge the battery - if it is a wet cell battery it will cause it the water in it to evaportate giving off hydrogen, eventually making the battery unusable.
Will also not do you lights nor any of the current using equipment in the car any good.
Best get a multimeter across the battery and see what that says - if is is above 14.5v then you will probably be looking at a new alternator.

Back