2nd battery charger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking at were i can pick up a live wire when ignition is turned on, so i can charge a second battery which run a 12 volts pump i use on my window cleaner business, van is a renualt traffic
any help would be appeaited

Sponsored Links
How about the fag lighter, mate? You could even run the pump with an appropriate plug if you want.
However....if you intend to charge another battery, and keep it connected, then you could be pushing current back into a dead circuit, so I'm not too sure about that one. You'd need a blocking diode (from caravan outlets) to keep it in check.
John :)

You should be able to wire an ordinary relay so that it performs that function.

Yes indeed thats another way of doing it.....wiring the relay coil to an ignition accessory connection, followed by a battery live through the contacts for changeover.
French vehicle electrics don't usually lend themselves to modification so probably a fused live direct from the battery would be worth considering.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Strangely enough my son has the same problem, he has a P100 pick up and I wired a relay to the ignition circuit, the only problem is he tends to have the radio on when its parked which of course means the batteries are connected together.

I was going to try connecting a relay to the alternator exiter terminal so its only switched in when its actually charging, have'nt got round to it yet though.

I replaced the engine in it last year and the working battery isn't connected to the charging circuit at the moment, but he has a good 100 ah deep cycle battery on it which only needs recharging about once a week.

Peter

Back