Correct drain pipe sizes / drops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rebuilt my 1st floor bathroom about three years ago, swapping the location of the bath and the sink, and lowering the bath down to rest directly on the joists (strengthened).

At the time, I used all 40mm push-fit waste pipe from B&Q, which went together fine.

Draining from the sink, the pipe went down under the bath, hooking up with the bath waste before going through an adjoining granite wall into the loft of our extension, then out though the extension wall to the main waste pipe which was vented up through the extension roof.

We have since demolished our extension, and I have temporarily diverted the drain from the bathroom so that when it comes out of the granite wall, it drops vertically by approx 8ft, before going along the wall into a rainwater drain at the front of the house. Note that this is just temporary while we're building the extension.

The problem I have just now (not that it's a major one) is that the 8ft drop of the 40mm pipe is causing siphoning of the water in the U-bends in the bathroom, making a terrible glugging noise when I drain the bath.

For the permanent solution I need to have the pipe come STRAIGHT out of the granite wall and carry on alongside the joists in the new extension, before dropping down into the new WC 6m away from the granite wall.

I want to make sure that this drop won't result in the same glugging noise.

Should I switch over to bonded 40mm (or 50mm) pipe where it comes out of the granite wall?

What happens at the far end, just before the big drop? Should I terminate into a waste pipe that goes right up through all two storeys and is vented out the slate roof? Does this need to be external to the property, or can it be inside the walls? Is this a 100mm pipe?

I'm in Scotland, if that makes any difference to regs etc. The plans for the extension detail the location of the downstairs WC etc, and the rainwater drainage, but don't seem to detail either waste drainage from the new ground floor WC, or the route of the waste from the existing 1st floor bathroom.

I'd like to change the whole 1st floor bathroom out for welded pipe rather than push-fit, but the bath was about 1" too long for the room, and as I was plasternig anyway, I ended up fitting the bath in-between bare timber walls before I fitted the plasterboard and tiles. Access to those drains would mean a LOT of disruption. - Would probably be easier to go UP through our kitchen ceiling!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

PS, it seems that 40mm welded pipe is not quite the same diameter as 40mm push-fit pipe, so there has been some jiggery-pokery done for this temporary solution. I assume there are adapters available.

thanks
Guy

Sponsored Links
Not sure on Scottish regs, but I'd go for the 110mm stack, it can be internal or external, and will provide necessary ventilation for the drains. If you run a max of 3m in 40mm before upsizing to 50mm this will avoid the siphonage, an antivac trap on the basin may also help.

Push fit and solvent weld pipes/fittings are not compatible, use a compression waste fitting to join the 2 types, but make it accessible in case of future needs! ;)

Hep V O waste valve on the basin will be better ;) They are totally silent

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back