Correct Electric shower installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I need some help here deciding what im going to do,

I have bought an electric shower to replace an old one but after buying the shower I then discovered that my cable is not man enough for the job 6mm cable in instead of 10mm however thats not the problem i can sort that one out,

My problem is on the old shower set up there is no RCD installed before the MCB just an Isolator switch inbetween,
Now do I install an RCD so the run goes MCB->length of cable to RCD ->Isolator switch->shower unit,
Or MCB->RCD->length of cable to isolator switch->shower unit, I suppose it don't matter either way but I was just wondering if there was a set procedure to run cable into a shower unit..
Also does an RCBO replace an RCD ? so can I have MCB->RCBO-> length of cable to Isolator switch->shower unit for example?

ofcourse I will get the installation certificated after the install I plan to install the cable ,consumer unit , new isolator switch and carry out the necessary Plumbing but not connect to MCB and let a local lecky sort that out and certificate it (as local lecky dont want to install under floorboards or in a wall he "prefurs" to stick horrible trunking up on my walls.) And seeing that I am more than capable of doing the rest then I will and save myself a bit of money and make a better job of it too...

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
I agree with the reply.. if you want the job done properly, get a spark who will do it properly, to your spec, to save money, ask him where he wants chases, floor boards lifting, joist drilled etc and then get him to run cable, install and certify

If you intend doing the donkey, work prior to electrician energising and commissioning the installation, you need one on board first, to offer you guidance.
No offence but you seem to be lacking in the fundamental principles.
What type on consumer unit have you got, do the manufactures, manufacture RCBOs for the board?
If so remove MCB and replace with RCBO!

Sponsored Links
I agree with the reply.. if you want the job done properly, get a spark who will do it properly, to your spec,

Can I just say thank you for the comments ,
But I have no problem getting a sparky to do the job but the ones around here (Or the ones I have contacted) all want to do as I call Council jobs Ie: only doing the job the quickest and easiest way possible and pulling up floorboards or chasing through walls seem not to be in their skills.

And before I get hate mail and stupid comments from sparkys who do good work for councils My comments about council work is just a general comment and not realy aimed at anybody inparticular , Its just that having trunking stuck on a wall in a private house where everything else is buried will stick out like a sore thumb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back