Correct hopper/trap for kitchen waste water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old bottle trap that the kitchen sink, dishy and washer is directed into.
Over the last year or so, I'm getting various smells and seems to need frequent cleaning.

Thinking of replacing the bottle trap, as I presume it's either not fitting properly or was never the correct thing to be fitted?

I had seen low back traps recently and wondered if it's acceptable to replace the bottle trap with this?

Sponsored Links
Smells could be from coiled up hose discharge pipes from appliances, so not necessarily the trap at fault. You could replace with a double appliance trap. Could also be getting trap seal siphoned out.

Apologies guys, when reading this back, it sounds like I'm talking about the trap under this sink... I wasn't, I was meaning the one outside 110mm underground jobby.

I've checked the under sink trap and pipes, and they are blockage free and very clean.

Outside, This is the kind of trap I currently have (similar)

Bottle Trap

was wondering if this is what should be used?

Lowback p trap

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily, if you waste pipe terminates where it should, above the water level but below the lid/edge of the gulley then there shouldn't be an issue with smells, unless there is an obvious smell outside, from the area of the gulley? The gulley is a trap like the p trap, both stop sewer gases from rising so wither would do the job

If there are no smells coming from the area of the gulley then there will be something else causing is.

One place people seem to miss is the sink overflow. It can hold gunge and gunk gathered from the sink and then smell over time.
Too true, I obviously missed/overlooked this in my reply :eek:

One place people seem to miss is the sink overflow. It can hold gunge and gunk gathered from the sink and then smell over time.
Unfortunately true.
I spent a lot of time trying to find the source of a "leak" in my bathroom giving out unpleasant smell.
And after exposing all pipe joints and finding them perfectly dry, I gave up.
Then, one day I dropped a screw in the sink and trying to look down the hole I had my nose close to the overflow and found the problem.
So now bleach is used in there regularly and there's no more smell.

Reactions: CBW
Thanks gents, the smell I've got is outside, I'm therefore thinking the gulley/hopper/trap is not the correct one for 'Kitchen' waste water.

I've been through all the internal pipes, everything is sound and looks/smells correct.

The gulley trap you have is fine for grey waste water, it is a trap after all. Have you actually opened up the grate and cleaned/checked the gulley is clean?

The P trap isn't or wouldn't be any better than the gulley trap for sink waste water. The P trap would be used with say a square top hopper, they tend to have 40mm boss' which allows low level inlets into the drain and still allow say a rainwater downpipe to drain into the top.

Is it a glazed brown clay one? How old? They are often cracked and leaking.

No it's a plastic bottle trap with removable black inner sleeve. When the sleeve is removed you can smell 'the smell'
There is a fair amount of gunk in there... and yes, I thought I was careful what ends up down the sink.

Was wondering it a lowback P trap may be a better idea?

You can use hot water and washing soda crystals, which dissolve grease and turn it into soap.

Try never to pour cooking fat, or wash oily pans, in the sink, pour it into an empty tin or wipe it away with kitchen roll. It can be used to make birdfood, or binned, or the greasy paper will help light barbecues

Doubtful there's anything wrong with the existing pot, remove the insert, remove any detritus in the bottom, (wear stout gloves or use a suitable implement, an old Ladle is handy, a wet vac is ideal), along with any residual water, give it a good wash out with hot water and bleach, (eye protection needed), reassemble and you should be ok.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back