Correct MCB/RCBO sizing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a length of protected cable running through the cellar then under concrete for around 15m from the CU to my garage.

It's 1.5mm2 (why the previous owner didn't fit 2.5 or 4mm2 I don't know) so I understand that a 20amp MCB/RCBO is going to be too high. Question is, what's a safe rating for it?

It'll get replaced in time but for the moment it'd be handy for a bit of light and power.

Sponsored Links
not an adequate sizing for a power circuit minimum requirement is 2.5mm sq would only be suitable for a lighting circuit

assuming its pvc (and its bloody hard to tell the difference between pvc and xple once installed so we assume its pvc to be safe) 16A is the maximum breaker you can use (the run is short enough that volt drop isn't a problem)

this should be enough to run a light and any one appliance at a time and more than one low current appliance

As long as you limit the current drawn by the SWA to 13A, you can run appliances from it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back