Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I've moved to a new house and the previous owner has wired the garage using tinfoil and bubblegum.

Can anyone tell me if my scheme to replace it is O.k

1. Run 6mm2 3 core SWA from CU surface clipped to exterior brick work for 10 meters the buried underground for meter before reaching the garage. Protect this run on the house CU with a 40 amp MCB

2. Install a secondary "Garage" CU with a 6amp MCB fro the lighting circuit. (3 x flourescent tubes wired in 1.5mm2)

3. wire a socket ringmain with no more than 8 double sockets in 2.5mm2 twin & earth and protect at the garage CU woth a 32 amp MCB. (The garage power is needed for small current low voltage transformers for hobbies and 1 x 1kw oil filled heater)

My other question is, would it be o.k to bury SWA under concrete without some form of conduit for protection.

If conduit is needed what type should I use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
gingerbeer said:
1. Run 6mm2 3 core SWA from CU surface clipped to exterior brick work for 10 meters the buried underground for meter before reaching the garage. Protect this run on the house CU with a 40 amp MCB
In case your hobbies expand to include aluminium smelting, or small-scale fusion reactors, you might as well put in 10mm².

Use the non-RCD side in the house.

You're familiar with the issues of exporting the earth if you have a PME supply?

3. wire a socket ringmain with no more than 8 double sockets in 2.5mm2 twin & earth and protect at the garage CU woth a 32 amp MCB. (The garage power is needed for small current low voltage transformers for hobbies and 1 x 1kw oil filled heater)
Why bother with a ring?

Don't forget the sockets need RCD protection.

Don't forget to notify LABC before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back