Correct method for fixing a gate post to a brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I need to fit a gate post to a brick wall this weekend. Fixing wise I want to avoid Rawl bolts as I’m not a big fan. Otherwise I guess my options are Rawl plus and positive/screw fixing or a thunderbolt/screw bolt fixing directly into the brickwork. Are there pros and cons with either?

Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
What sort of post, wood, metal, concrete? Why don't you like Rawl bolts?

It’s a wooden post. Just not a fan from when I’ve used them before, other fixings just seem more straight forward.

concrete screws?

if you have decent brickwork.....they dont grip too well on soft bricks

Sponsored Links
I used three or four concrete screws from screwfix. The main issue I had was making the hole in the gate post wide enough so that I could use a socket wrench. In hindsight, I should have used a flat spade bit to make a hole part way through the gate post, deep enough to make the head of the concrete screw flush with the surface, then drill a smaller hole to allow the shaft of the screw through. You can then drill into the brick at the appropriate point and should be able to use a socket wrench to drive the screw into the wall.

Because I faffed around with trial and error (I drilled the hole in the post for the screw first and then used a spade bit which was too small and had to go larger) I got a lot of splintering with having to use larger sized spade bits, which I gather wouldn't have happened if I did it the correct way first time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back