Correct procedure for a suspended floor - and how to rectify

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My extension (built a yr ago) has a suspended timber floor. Am I correct that:

1. There needs to be concrete oversite?
2. That apart from a DPC on the external walls, there also needs to be a DPM on the ground (or if not, at least over the edges where timbers meet walls)?
3. That airbricks need to be spaced at least every 1.5m

I don't think we have any of the above - and am worried about damp etc. Is it possible to rectify any of them, even though kitchen has been fitted? (Floor is lino so should be easier to lift up.)

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
My extension (built a yr ago) has a suspended timber floor. Am I correct that:

1. There needs to be concrete oversite?
2. That apart from a DPC on the external walls, there also needs to be a DPM on the ground (or if not, at least over the edges where timbers meet walls)?
3. That airbricks need to be spaced at least every 1.5m

I don't think we have any of the above - and am worried about damp etc. Is it possible to rectify any of them, even though kitchen has been fitted? (Floor is lino so should be easier to lift up.)

Thanks a lot

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Airvents at 2m centes or 1500mm²/m of wall

Not possible to rectify 1 or 2 without ripping the floor up. You might be able to add extra air vents from outside.

Thanks for your help.

In these cases is early prevention important? I.e. if I'm not sure what's actually down there, is it worth having a look now (despite inconvenience of lifting some of the floor) or should I just sit tight and wait for something to go wrong?

Btw, LABC are no help on this. There's nothing on the inspection notes about the oversite or DPM 'because it's not a statutory requirement' (?)

Not related to this topic but I'm curious...

nervous, if I remember correctly, you posted a lot last year about all sorts of problems with your builder. How did it end ? Did you get any recompense ? If you've posted what happened, then my aplogies, but i didn't see it.

Sponsored Links
Not related to this topic but I'm curious...

nervous, if I remember correctly, you posted a lot last year about all sorts of problems with your builder. How did it end ? Did you get any recompense ? If you've posted what happened, then my aplogies, but i didn't see it.

You've got a good memory from last year... ;)

Been a long ongoing saga of hassle and stress. Only 'advantage' of it not being resolved yet is that the more I've investigated, the more problems I've discovered.

Didnt get a penny from him so had to use retention up long ago. The problem is I now have impending repairs which the retention can't cover...he's offered to put them right but only if I pay him part of the retention (he thinks the repair works were overpriced, and 'he could have done them for cheaper'. Course he could - just not up to any decent standard.)

Thanks for your help.

In these cases is early prevention important? I.e. if I'm not sure what's actually down there, is it worth having a look now (despite inconvenience of lifting some of the floor) or should I just sit tight and wait for something to go wrong?

Btw, LABC are no help on this. There's nothing on the inspection notes about the oversite or DPM 'because it's not a statutory requirement' (?)

It is a statutory requirement that the ground is covered so as to resist moisture and prevent plant growth. If there is no dpm or oversite how have they achieved that?

might just be some concrete and no DPM :eek: . But that`s what I have here in my 1920`s bungalow - in fact the concrete is like cement covered pebbles :rolleyes: - yet no problems because I got loadsa draught through the airbricks ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back