Correct shower installation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a house at the moment and I'm trying to get some advice as to whether my builder/plumber has installed the Mira Vie electric shower correctly.

As you can see from the photo, the inlet valve is sticking down below the shower, exposing an unsightly pipe and hole in the wall. I thought it should all be covered by the shower case. My builder has spoken to the plumber and has been assured that it is correct.

Can anyone tell me if he's fitted it correctly or not? The instructions don't really help as they only show a schematic and not an installed photo. Apart from not looking good, surely it could let water into the electrics?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There would be various ways of plumbing this in, he has chosen one of these ways - it just happens to look rubbish but take less effort.

There was no need for him to remove any of the casing when fitting both pipe/cable from rear entry to the unit.

He could have run the pipe (in chrome) from the top (or bottom)which would have been better
There is no rear entry for pipework with this shower.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies. I have got some follow up queries however.

Is it therefore the case that a straight pipe should have been used rather than creating the elbow joint to create a rear entry which Onecog suggests the shower is not designed for?

Is there any way of hiding the pipe, or is it therefore not possible with this shower?

Is there any danger from water ingress with the present configuration, or can it be left as it is?

He could have run the pipe (in chrome) from the top (or bottom)which would have been better

There is rear entry with this shower for both water and electricity supplies you just use a compression elbow straight on to the shower inlet connection but you must use an elbow you cant just turn the direction of the inlet to horizontal

This shower is capable of top/bottom & rear entry on both cable & pipe.
As said use a compression elbow but using a e/f elbow still fits in the service tunnel.

Thanks for the further replies. It sounds like you can conceal the pipes. The plumber has used an elbow but it's not concealed for whatever reason.

Is it possible to reinstall it by dropping it down over the exposed pipe, so it is concealed, or is it too late?

Also the thinned section has been removed, so is there any danger from water getting into the electrics, as it is now?

You can reposition it by cutting the vertical copper pipe down but still leaving enough to get the compression nut/olive/fitting on.
Your only down fall may be the original top screw hole may end up being exposed once refitting unit.

You can buy a new service tunnel which is about £10.
Can you remove the cover and check he may of used a pushfit fitting thats why the elbow maybe visable as a pushfit fitting can be longer than a brass compression.

Get him to fix it, i wouldn't be happy with that, water can splash up there so it could be dangerous.

show your builder this post and ask them to sort it out, I wouldnt accept that either

unfortunately you have choosen a cheap shower, that has limited connection options, i disagree with some of the others, the MI state it is only suitable for top or bottom connections, if you look at the soldered elbow & how close it is to the wall there is no way you could use a conex elbow inside without fixing it to the pipe coming out the wall & then pushing the fitting into the wall to connect onto the shower, if it is on a stud wall then there maybe enough play to do that but if it's a solid wall then you have no chance to do this.

OP you should have bought a shower with multiple entry points

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back