correct throughbolt for fixing wood to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I could do with guidance on the correct fixing, as I'm fixing a 2" wood to a rear brick wall. the Brick is going to to take moderate amount of strain over time, and I'm guessing, but the internal brick is not Accrington brick, like the second layer brick on the outside.

I've seen a few fixing I'm interested n using and one of them is a

Fischer FXA Throughbolt 10 x 126mm

My question is, assuming the brick is approx 4.5inches wide, and since the wood fixing is 2" thick, is this the right fixing to use?

Would this throughbolt crack the brick, with its expansion upon tightening?

TBH I've seen other fixing too, but there are so many to choose from, I'm going for the least complicated option, but I've attached some pictures of the other ones I'm interested in looking into.

would you recommend any of teh ones listed below for wood to brick fixing?

Sponsored Links
If you're concerned about cracking the bricks, try resin-fixing.
In that situation, I've used short lengths of threaded bar resin-fixed into the holes, and once set, bolt up.
The resin is a bit expensive, though, and you have to work quickly.

Sponsored Links
The Fischer bolt is fine but they have a relatively small expansion area so if you hit a void it may not always bite. Two ways around that - have a tube of resin handy so if you get a spinner pump a bit of resin in and let it go off before tightening. Otherwise just re-drill. Fischer bolts don't tend to cause too much cracking but the original rawl type bolts can do if you go mad tightening them. (the gold coloured one second down in your pic list) There's really no need to over tighten though - it's the vertical component that does the work. Otherwise use chem fixings.

Thanks guys.

I was tempted o look into resin fixing TBH, but the water content in the bricks is higher than normal, so I was kinda concerned about the adhesion between resin and damp brick.

I did some research on thunder bolts, and ended up finding these bad boys.

"Lighting bolts"

2" would sit inside the wood fixture, and the rest 3" would sit inside the brick. Am I thinking right that 130mm (5.1") should suffice? or should I purchase a longer length?

I guess even if the blot was to go all the way thru the brick it would have a good grip either way.

Definatly thunderbolts, don't overtighten them, always use a heavy washer, not always supplied, not stocked in your local B&Q.

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=masoary+thunderbolts[/QUOTE]

don't over tighten them? is there a chance that the thread could spin inside the brick? Using body weight would be excessive I agree, but a good snug grip on a washer on the wood piece would suffice I say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back