Correct timber to timber hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building a warm roof to our new extension. Rather than the joist sit upon the inner leaf block wall, we have affixed pole boards (195x47) to the wall using stud and resin, and now need to hang our joists (also 195x47) from those pole boards. There are also trimmers for the roof lantern, which are 3 x 195x47 timbers bolted together.

The architect (currently on holiday) specified "catnic or similar hangers to BS5628".

This sounds like the following are correct to me, but thought I'd double check on here ahead of going ahead!

For the 195x47mm joists: https://timco.co.uk/47404MFH-multi-functional-hangers-galvanised

For the 'tripled up' 3 x 195x47mm trimmers: https://timco.co.uk/150504MFH-multi-functional-hangers-galvanised

I'm aware that the hangers are only 177 / 179mm tall, which is less than the joists they will carry, but looking at the regs am I right in thinking that's fine for timber to timber hanging so long as the hanger covers at least 60% of the joist height?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
The ones you linked are suitable, get a kilo of twist nails also.
You could of used masonry hangers if you hadn't already installed your ledger plate!

Sponsored Links
Those HD hangers are really intended for bolts through the support timber, which you won't be able to do, so may as well use speedy hangers.

Those HD hangers are really intended for bolts through the support timber, which you won't be able to do, so may as well use speedy hangers.

The manufacturer say that nails alone are sufficient and the SWL value is based on only nails.. However, I am going to bolt the hangers that carry the lantern trimmers through the ledger plate and into the blockwork behind, using studs set in resin. Seems like it's worth that little extra effort.

I like Simpson strong tie hangers, but each to their own...

I'm fixing them to a ledger plate just 195mm tall, looks like the strong tie hangers all have longer 'legs' than that - unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.

I'm fixing them to a ledger plate just 195mm tall, looks like the strong tie hangers all have longer 'legs' than that - unless I'm looking at the wrong ones.
Can be cut or wrapped.
See Simpson website for installation details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back